Thread: Anesthetics Really Do Wonders

Anesthetics Really Do Wonders

...until they wear off, that is.

Just came back from the dentist; I had my last two wisdom teeth removed. This time, it took significantly longer and was a smidge more painful, since the dentist had to put stitches in the bottom socket this time.

These two were a lot more resistant, and took a great deal of wedging and a LOT of heavyweight pulling.

Most of the work wasn't done by forceps, but by sort of a wedge; I forgot what they call 'em. It looks a little like a screwdriver.

And again, I was prescribed an antibiotic and Tylenol #3, which is Tylenol with codeine.

With the first two, I only had to take one of the Tylenol's. For these, I'm already on my second.

I think this is the very first time I've gotten stitches for ANYTHING. I'm going to have to go a week from today to get them removed.

Re: Anesthetics Really Do Wonders

That sounds awful. Feel better.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Hey! I just went for that on thursday, but the doc only did one bottom this time. He said that I should get the bottoms done one at a time because they are more painful than the top.

What kind of anesthetics did you get? I was put to sleep, so I didn't have to endure anything. Mine were impacted though, meaning they didn't get through the surface yet. Its killing like a mother still.

Yikes. I had mine out last spring (the first day of spring break). Mine weren't impacted or anything, but they stood the chance of influencing my orthodonture so I was given the option to get numbed and stay awake or get put out. I just got put out because I don't think I could be awake when it started to bleed. So when it came time for me to go home, I was still super groggy and my parents helped me to the car but I still fell down the steps to the parking lot.

My dad's were real bad when he got his out but he stayed awake for it. I dunno how he got through it.

Oh, wow. I only got local anesthesia. Just a couple injections. I was wide awake the whole time.

I don't know if bottoms are more painful than tops; I guess it depends on the person and each tooth.

When you stay awake, you get to see blood spewing onto your face, literally. Then you get to see the dentist hold your head with one hand and yank with all his might with the other. He had to do that a couple times, bracing himself each time to get the bottom out. And when it finally came out, and I saw the tooth, there was a lovely little piece of flesh and gum stuck to it. My dad calls it a "pork chop". Afterwards, I remember seeing him sewing up the bottom wound with black thread.

It's been two days, and the swelling is still apparent, but it's better. The pain is starting to fade, and I had my first small pieces of solid food today.

My dentist told me to indicate to him if it got painful, and if it did, he would just inject more anesthetic, and it usually took care of it. The anesthetic blocks your pain receptors, but not your pressure receptors. So you won't feel as much pain as the pulling.

Yeah, thats why I decide to get put under... I don't need to see that :lol:

Ouch, that sounds harsh buddy. Hope you feel better!

A few years ago, I had to have a cyst removed from just above my eye (not a great spot), and they injected me with a local anesthetic, which was kind of scary seeing a needle coming at your eye, but once you feel no pain, everything is good...

...until it wears off...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection