Thread: The Big Move...(Trip Report Too!)

The Big Move...(Trip Report Too!)

We finally made reservations so I can get to college. My mom and I are flying up on August 26, and my dad is flying up on August 29. This will be my first time on US Airways in about ten years.

My mother and I:
    US3862
    Departs: Daytona Beach, FL (DAB) at 7:53 AM
    Arrives: Charlotte (CLT) at 9:20 AM
    Seat: 6A, 6C (window is mine)
    Canadair Regional Jet 200

US1910
    Departs: Charlotte (CLT) at 9:55 AM
    Arrives: New York-LaGuardia (LGA) at 11:53 AM
    Seat: 16A, 16B
    Airbus A320

My mom will fly US back to Daytona alone.

My dad is flying up on AirTran from Orlando (he wants to use his clear card and he also has two unused one way business class tickets) on Friday, August 29 and home on September 1.

As for me, well, I guess I will regain my status as a New Yorker, not that I haven't been one all along, but I will now be looked at as one again, for the first time in nine years. I am happy to be leaving Florida behind.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: The Big Move...

Leaving FL for NYC? You're crazy...
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

welcome back.

now hit the books ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    Try spending you teenage years in the Daytona Beach area. You would go crazy. I have met a lot of people who want to abandon this place.

Thanks Mario (I think that is your name). I am glad to be back.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Well I did that in 1985 and never looked back, best choice I ever made in my whole life other than marrying my wife and I would have never met her if I had not come to NYC.

NYC and the surrounding area Rocks and anyone who feels otherwise is on the wrong website.

My Two Cents

LGA777

What college?

Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology

Major: Airline Mangement

This return to New York is long overdue.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Vaughn is awesome dude, welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    Well I did that in 1985 and never looked back, best choice I ever made in my whole life other than marrying my wife and I would have never met her if I had not come to NYC.

NYC and the surrounding area Rocks and anyone who feels otherwise is on the wrong website.

My Two Cents

LGA777
    I have always been fascinated with NYC's aviation ops and all three area airports are why I am a contributor to the forums here. JFK was, is, and always will be my favorite airport and is largely responsible for my love of aviation. The site's NYCAviation.com, not NYCisthegreatestcityintheworld.com...

I was merely stating that Daytona's a great place--with the beaches and GA growth possibilities with Riddle and some large flight schools and FBOs down there...I was born and raised here, and I'm quite sick of it...the expense, the noise, lack of space, cost of living. I spent some time away from NYC for both work and school and I enjoyed the cheaper cost of living, cleaner air, more space, etc.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

It isn't that I am blasting you, RDU. I didn't get to make the decision to leave Baldwin...my parents did, as I was only 9. Things didn't prove well for me in Florida, so I am giving NY another try, as I still feel very comfortable up there.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

TRIP REPORT...THE BIG MOVE

August 26, 2008

US Airways
    Flight 3862
    Departs: Daytona Beach at 7:53 AM
    Arrives: Charlotte at 9:20 AM
    Seat: 6A
    CRJ-200

We arrived at Daytona Beach International Airport at 7:00 AM for our flight. As we were prepared, my mother forked over her credit card to pay for our bags to be checked to LGA. A very nice US agent checked our bags. I told her that I was going to school and she wished me luck. I felt very welcome. This is my first time on US since they left DAB in '97. Our flight departed from Gate 5 on time. Boarding was quick and we pushed on time. We did not buy any drinks on board...we bought some in the airport. We decended into a stormy Charlotte, which is funny, because the last memory I have of CLT was a thunderstorm. We touched down on 36R in CLT and taxied through the rain to the USEX gates. We didn't have a jetway, so we deplaned in the rain. I had to wait in the rain (I decided against using one of US's umbrellas) for the bag I valeted in Daytona.

We went from E to D and CLT and boarded rather quickly.

US Airways
    Flight 1910
    Departs: Charlotte at 9:55 AM (Wheels up: 11ish)
    Arrives: New York-LaGuardia at 11:53 AM (Nope)
    Seat: 16A
    Airbus A320

First of all, the seats on this plane were very comfy. We pushed on time from gate D11 and taxied out to the take off line up of 25 aircraft. Suddenly, we taxied out of the line up and the engines went off. That is never good. It turns out that there was a ground stop at LGA. So we wait about half an hour or so and the ground stop was released. So we are back in the now shorter line up...and it is still raining. We take off into the clouds and we have an extremely rocky climbout...I mean really bad turbulence. Once we get above the clouds, the beverage sales begin. I refused the drinks once again and so did my mother. Upon our descent, we made an expressway visual approach to LGA runway 31 (duh). The pilot landed the plane very well and used up very little runway IMO. We arrived at gate 15 in LGA. This flight deplaned from the front and rear doors, but I chose the jetway. We were really in the US Shuttle wing I guess, so it was a long walk to baggage claim.

Overall, very good trip on US, and I enjoyed the flights and service. I was perfectly happy despite the nickel and diming.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012