Thread: 2 black stripes on TWA wings

2 black stripes on TWA wings

Greetings,
    I have always wondered about the following.
    What is the fuction of the 2 black stripes on the top of the wings of TWA DC-9s, 767s, 757s, 727s MD-83s that I have seen. Not all models for TWA had this feature painted on their wings. I have always found it to be visually appealing and add characteristic but I am sure there is a reason for them.

Senga

Re: 2 black stripes on TWA wings

It is basically for de icing purposes.

It gave a visibility to pin point it on when the wings were being de iced.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Alex is right, they gave the pilots a visual idea of how much ice was on the wing. But yes they did look sharp!

How come other airlines didn't use them?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Oh ok,
    That would make sense.
    Thanks for explaining that.
    Senga

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    How come other airlines didn't use them?
    They're a few out there that have similar markings I've seen while screening. TWA had very unique operating procedures and configurations when compared to other airlines. I'm not really sure why, but they did. As an example all their cockpit switches were the opposite of other airlines. What I mean is the way you flip a switch in a TWA cockpit was the same way you'd turn on a light switch in your house. All other airlines do it the opposite, TWA also had a policy that during landing all window shades had to be raised, never saw that on any other airline. TWA also used cans for luggage on their heavy jets even in the later years. So I'm sure the stripes on the wings were part of their own unique procedures.

Hey Tommy, I suspect that the switches being in reverse is an urban legend. I've read the same on other places like Anet, but I have had a few face-to-face conversations with DL pilots of ex-TWA 757's and although there are some minor differences between those birds and stock DL birds, according to at least two pilots, the switch orientations are no different. Take from that what you will...

I always thought the black lines down the wings made the TWA aircraft look even classier, especially with the newer paint scheme. Never really knew they served a technical purpose for icing detection until they were gone...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

It's not urban legend Andy, that's how TWA ordered their planes. Remember not all of the TWA 757s are 231 designations some were ordered by ILFC and Boeing Capital and were simply leased by TWA. Sort of like leasing a car off the lot rather then ordering it to your own specs from the factory. However the 31 designated birds had different cockpit configs.

Gotcha, since most of the TWA 757's were leased, that sounds about right. I think most, if not all, of the ex-TWA birds that went to DL are not -231 designations, so that would explain the perspective of the DL pilots. So the other aircraft they had, like the 767's, 747's, 727's, 707's, etc all had this reverse switch orientation? What about the MD-80's as compared with their DC-9's? And how about L-1011's? Not sure if you have the answers to these questions, but now you've piqued my curiosity (I should have warned that that was a dangerous thing to do LOL!)
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Gotcha, since most of the TWA 757's were leased, that sounds about right. I think most, if not all, of the ex-TWA birds that went to DL are not -231 designations, so that would explain the perspective of the DL pilots. So the other aircraft they had, like the 767's, 747's, 727's, 707's, etc all had this reverse switch orientation? What about the MD-80's as compared with their DC-9's? And how about L-1011's? Not sure if you have the answers to these questions, but now you've piqued my curiosity (I should have warned that that was a dangerous thing to do LOL!)
    I'm not sure about the older birds but from being in TW Dubs 767-231 and 331 cockpits they all had the reverse switches. I believe the MDs have them as well. I recall reading something about AA pilots having to adjust to the configs.

Fokkers had them..