Thread: The Impossible has Happened--- Art flew WN!!!!

The Impossible has Happened--- Art flew WN!!!!

After swearing for years and years and over 1 million miles I would never do the cattle call, an opportunity arose that made sense to try Southwest. I booked Business Select for ISP-MCO-ISP, and here is what happened:

I got to ISP about an hour and 15 before the flight--to go to US and see if any of my old friends were still there...and they are!!
    Said hello to Gerry, Brian Kathy and Charlie, who had no one on line--first two flights of the day cancelled mechanical....they asked where I had been, and I told them--with CO and AA. They said they have lost alot of their regulars as US keeps dropping flights-they think ISP will be gone soon.

On to WN, I had checked in on line, with the number on my boarding pass A02. Of course, not being able to deal with NO line at security, I walked through with my cell phone, but finally got through and walked to the boarding area. This being the first time in the new section of ISP, WN's side, it was new, spacious, and clean, with workbenches for laptop users. They have the new poles with boarding position lineups, which I had seen before elsewhere.

At 8:55AM, the inbound making up my flight arrived--and within 15 minutes they announce pre boarding--quick turn! I believe this is what they are famous for. They did wheelchairs first (6 of them-reminded me of MIA). Then called out Business Select, A 1-15--no. 1 and I boarded together, appeared we were the only ones in BS.

Got on board, greeted by the crew, found my way to 12F (the only seat without a seat in front of it). Turns out to be a not so great choice as there is no table in the armrest, but it's in the seat ahead 2 rows forward. Going to try 11A tomorrow.

The boarding process became a little haphazard toward the end, but I noticed they were very organized in getting standbys on--count free seats, agent boards more people. There was actually not an issue with carryons--no gate checks, although the flight was full!

They did the exit row spiel, and I will say it was refreshing to see the crew's attitudes, but the lone male FA, who had the mike, was just a little overboard in his announcements--a little too hokey, criticizing other airlines, making fun of first class, calling themselves Southbest, etc....even the other FA said he was a little over the edge. It got tiring after a while, but that was the worst of it to be honest. He took special aim at US and DL, mocking all the charges, and fees.

Off the gate 5 min early, in the air within 5 min, and on our way. Once in the air, they came around took beverage orders, and offered the snacks. The bev service was quick and efficient, and after the first round, as they cleared, they offered refills to anyone who wanted them.

We did arrive early into MCO, and deplaning was again somewhat organized...considering this was a "Kettle" full of people...I would say there were maybe 3 business travelers on this whole airplane, with me being one.

I just checked in for tomorrow's flight from my room--could not print, but got A01 for the return--but I may be able to get an earlier flight tomorrow. We'll see and I will post. I will also let you know how easy it is to reprint boarding passes (and the drinky coupon!)

Overall, I would say it was a good flight, excellent value, and oh...the aircraft was spotless--inside AND out.....

I would not choose them for a transcon, and I still have an issue with the open seating, but like I said I do have an open mind, and I might consider them again as the situation arises.

The Return

OK, as Paul Harvey says, now for the rest of the story........

My meeting Wednesday morning ended early after an early lunch. I refilled the Escape Hybrid they rented me (interesting that the hybrid system on the Ford is not as good as the Toyota/Lexus system because if the AC is on the engine never shuts off), and headed back to MCO.

I had checked in on line, although unable to print the boarding pass. This time my number was A01. There were two lines, both pretty long, so I asked for a kiosk, and was told I'd have to wait on a line to make changes (I was trying to get the 3:45 to ISP rather than the 6:10 I was on). That's the first problem I encountered....they should either enable kiosks to do changes, OR have a separate line for Business Select. I wound up waiting 45 minutes to find out the 3:45 was cancelled (monitor did NOT reflect this), so in essence I wasted 45 minutes on line to get a boarding pass. Sorry that doesn't work for me.

As it turned out that was basically the worst of it. Through security (they got rid of the 2 hour rule at MCO), and used the new "expert" lane! Off to the 100 gates--Many flights were showing delays, especially B6 to NY, and a few WN's due to weather, but ISP showed right on time.

A late flight necessitated a gate change, so I made my way to the new gate and settled in with a magazine and a frozen yogurt, which promptly gave me some brain freeze. As the hours passed, I did some people watching and noticed that in the 100-110 gate area, there were 99.9% non business travelers--I counted less than 10 in the entire terminal (I considered dress and briefcase/laptop bag as indicators). I also watched someone yelling at a Jet Blue agent about not making a gate change announcement as he was the last to board his flight (funny I heard the announcement like 10 times). PA's go through that entire wing, so at gate 108 you hear the announcements for gate 127 etc.

There was weather in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast, so I was prepared for any eventuality. I asked the agent at the CS counter where the inbound was coming from and he said PHL, but commented it was on time! It actually arrived early, which gave them extra time to clean and prepare.

There were no less than 6 wheel chairs on this leg so after the gate agent made the announcement explaining the new boarding procedures he paged 2 passengers to the podium-myself and one other gentleman. He told us quietly that although they usually board the preboards first, due to the high number of wheelchairs, there were only 2 of us in Business Select so he was going to board us first--he assumed (correctly) that we would want the exit rows. Impressive--thinking ahead of the curve. We stayed close, and eventually he just gave us a nod, and we boarded ahead of the chairs. We told the FA's that we were the business guys, and the first one said "I guess you know where the exit rows are and are willing to help".

Found my way to 11A, where the FA was standing, stored the bags and settled down. Again, this was a FULL flight, probably due to the prior cancellation, but boarding was semi organized, and again, there was no issue with overhead space even though this was a -300 and the bins are smaller necessitating rollaboards to go in sideways.

We pushed back just about on the money, and started BOTH engines (I guess they don't do one engine taxi), and before you know it we were in the air. The FA's made the first pass taking drink orders (had the BS coupon, so had a scotch). Very well organized and efficiently done..plenty of time for two or three rounds for those who wanted it, and multiple passes to clear the cabin.

You could see all the bad weather to the west of the aircraft as we descended into ISP, but we made it in about 10-15 minutes before a pretty heavy storm found the airport (I was already in my car). I did notice that they get the gear down early, and flaps down pretty late in the approach--I guess their procedures are a little different. It also appeared they use a lower flap setting on approach-meaning slightly higher approach speeds--for the WN pilots out there--do you land flap 20-25????

I got off the airplane and walked out to the check in area to see if any of my US friends were still there, and sure enough the ladies who I missed the most from the late shift were in the back room at the counter. One saw me and yelled "where the heck have you been??"
    We had a nice chat catching up, and the confirmed what I had heard earlier in the day that Spirit is gone from ISP end of month.

Got to the car, paid the parking and it started raining just as I left the airport. I discovered after entering the LIE that it was closed between ISP and my house, so I got off onto the service road when I could and took the alternate (Motor Parkway).

Bottom line, it was okay, but I still prefer assigned seats. I think the true test will be on a regular ticket without Business Select, but based on this trip I MIGHT try them again if circumstances permit.

At least they meet the expectations they set for themselves, and offer value.
    It's the fares, stupid

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: The Impossible has Happened--- Art flew WN!!!!

Hey least you can say you tried it.

Now that wasn't so bad, was it?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

On today's menu...."Foot in mouth." j/k j/k j/k ;)

Art if I had a dollar for the amount of times you said you wouldn't fly WN, I'd be a rich man, LOLOL ;)

I told you they weren't that bad. I do especially like the new gate area config. The club style seating is really a plus in my book. Now ISP needs wireless internet.

Art-

You have pleased me!!! :)

Seriously I am glad you tried them out with an open mind. I have no arguments against what you have said, I understand the opinion of assigned seats and sometimes I prefer them myself.

I am truly glad it went well for you.

To respond to your line or kiosk for changes, we WILL be changing that soon in the near future. I cannot openly state what they will be but there will be changes with the Kiosks and what you have requested. Some of the features are ticketless travel at the airport as well. Stay Tuned!

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!