Thread: Greenwich Residents Monitor Plane Noise - NYCA Quoted

Greenwich Residents Monitor Plane Noise - NYCA Quoted

I was interviewed the other day by the gentleman writing this piece. We spoke a lot, but he didn't really use any of my opinions about the CT-ians complaining about the noise, which I called silly.

The airspace redesign, which I think is a good thing, has them complaining that LGA rwy 22 arrivals will be over their house, and they're concerned about noise. At the height they'll be at, they'll hardly even know they are there. If you have to hear the faint sound of a plane in the distance that's over a mile or almost two miles up, then those are the breaks of being lucky enough to live within range of a major city. I'd bet most of those residents commute to the city by train or car, and make their salaries from it, but then don't expect to have to hear the tiniest peep of city life from where they reside.

All the writer did was slightly misquote me about how I can hear airplanes, and how I support the redesign. Got a plug for the site at least. Here it is:

http://www.greenwichtime.com/ci_9805133
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Greenwich Residents Monitor Plane Noise - NYCA Quoted

What a bunch of crybabies! I grew up in Fresh Meadows which I think is the approach for 31 back before the days of 727 hush kits and the noise isn't that bad. And I wasn't a spotter back then so it wasn't like I got off on the noise. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the jets are much lower over Queens on the other approaches than over CT on the 22 approach.

These days when I'm home to visit, I hardly notice the noise with the newer more efficient and quiet engines. Maybe once in a blue moon an old 737 goes over with the old-style turbojets. But even then, the noise from trucks engine braking is much more noticeable.

Lastly, I find the bellyaching about their "lifestyle disruption" troubling. It seems that overall, everyone thinks they should get their way (in this case, no noise) even though the greater good is served (fewer delays, more efficient use of fuel).

I left my 2 cents there.

I like that one guy went out and spent $600 on a noise meter. Mmmm, a lot of discretionary income there huh? That is like the people out in
    Suffolk County in the North Fork Helicopter Association then went out and bought "altitude monitoring equiment"? What the heck is that and
    how much does it cost? OY!!

I wrote a long opinion piece which was published in my local newspaper citing how the airspace redesign really won't make a difference in our neighborhood in Wilton. The people around here just don't get it.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

The EWR arrivals pass over my boyhood home at 8000' and you can barely hear them. Sucks, because I'd like to be able to just dash over to the window when something comes over instead of sitting in front of it reading the newspaper or something.