Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks to close 600 U.S Stores

Starbucks to close 600 U.S Stores

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!! This means I may have to drive an extra mile to acquire a cup of my Venti Moca Awake and Refresh extra hot Chia Tea! My god this weak economy is now starting to hurt me! I'm depressed...I need a Starbucks!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25482250/

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Starbucks to close 600 U.S Stores

Extra mile??? You poor Long Islanders are neglected...I can see three Starbucks stores out the window right now...It'd be quite the catastrophe if I had to go an extra two blocks to get coffee..

Wait, I don't even drink coffee!

Any way to find out which stores are closing?

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Wait, I don't even drink coffee!
    This is your fault!

What will we do with only 14,412 Starbucks?!

I guess not really a joke for the 12,000 people who are going to get canned. What is a joke is the CEO who got canned last year who had a goal of opening an ADDITIONAL 25,000 STORES (40,000 total) and is largely responsible for the mess they're in now. Something can be learned by looking at the Gap, which is hemorrhaging cash and I'd be surprised if they make it through this year: you don't need a store in every single shopping center in the world. People don't think your brand is special if they can get it anywhere.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    Any way to find out which stores are closing?
    It will probably take awhile to finalize the list since they have to work out deals with the property owners, and I doubt they'll release a list anyway. I don't think many will be in our area because they're mostly busy all the time...the only one that comes to mind as being somewhat quieter than the others is in the Toys R Us/Macys shopping center in Douglaston, but even that one probably turns a profit.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I got my Starbucks! Venti Iced Light Latte WOOHOO!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Wow...do I have comments for THAT shot!!! Egadz. I can't justify for myself paying $4 for a cup of joe, let alone learn a foreign language just to order the mother humpin' thing. I'll take my 7-11 mud black and bitter anyday.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Wow...do I have comments for THAT shot!!! Egadz. I can't justify for myself paying $4 for a cup of joe, let alone learn a foreign language just to order the mother humpin' thing. I'll take my 7-11 mud black and bitter anyday.
    I was just going to say - it's coffee. You are supposed to drink it black, not with any goofy stuff in it (well, except for maybe a shot of Anisette).

Tommy, you would have loved the flight kitchen coffee we got for tanker flights. Brewed in a 55 gallon drum, we would pick up one or two one-gallon metal containers along with our box lunches before heading to the jet. The containers had built-in heaters which plugged into the galley. Unfortunately, the on/off toggle switch on the galley was rarely marked, and not always installed in the same direction. Typically, you found out the switch was in the wrong direction about 30 minutes into the flight, when the Boom Operator brought you a cup of cold, black coffee. You tell the Boom to flip the switch the other way, and an hour later you have re-heated black coffee. After about an 8 hour flight, it was just what you needed to wake you up for an ILS to minimums. :D

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

And why does it have to be "Venti"? Can't I just ask for a ****ing large?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

whoa, over 14k starbucks are out there. thats insane.

BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE RULES! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE RULES! ;)
    That is why I go to D&D! We live in America and a Venti IS a large.... When I say Large, I do not want LIP. You can be a snob and put Venti on your walls, but when they give me lip it gets bad. ESPECIALLY IF I AM IN THERE BUYING COFFEE!!! It means I REALLY need coffee, and do not screw with me.

My last conversation was....

Me:Can I have a large light and sweet
    Coffee bar maid:you mean Venti
    Me:No Large
    Coffee bar maid:It is called a Venti
    Me:No, I want a large
    Coffee bar maid:It is the same, Venti is a large
    Me:Oh, I am sorry... I wanted a large....Duncan has a large (fred leaving)
    Coffee bar maid:BUT IT IS A LARGE!
    (sound of me waisting $4.00 in gas to get to D&D and spending $2.25 in coffee, because I can read that they have an EXTRA LARGE and know what it is bigger than a large!

Does Starbucks have an extra large? Wait, forget it.... I do not want to learn a new word right now. :roll:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Because a "Large" is $2, a "Venti" is $5

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Because a "Large" is $2, a "Venti" is $5
    It's called a Grande Moose...please get it right. A "small" is called a Tall. There is also a new size, a Short which is smaller then the Tall.

Now since I'm a kind man and a with Advanced degrees in Business and Psychology I will take the time now to help you understand and order your beverage from Starbucks. This will make your visit more enjoyable and your drink very tasty. Please read below...

1. Decide what you want to order before your turn in line.
    Decide if you want a hot or cold beverage, and which size.

Four sizes for hot beverages:
    Short (8oz)
    Tall (12oz)
    Grande (16oz)
    Venti (20oz) (trade-marked size) Venti is Latin for 20

Three sizes for cold beverages:
    Tall (12oz)
    Grande (16oz)
    Venti (24oz) Again here's the Latin thing...

Decide what type of beverage you want.

Brewed coffee,
    Coffee of the week (COW). COW is generally a bold, mild and decaf, though they can change the offerings after 2pm, or as they run out. Remember, if you are inside; ask for room for cream if you need it. It's a lot less embarrassing than cleaning up all the coffee you spill or have to pour out into the trash bin.

There are three types of tea. Short and Tall teas come with one tea bag. Grande and Venti come with two. Cold teas come shaken with either a dilute of water or lemonade, and are served sweetened unless requested otherwise. The standard sweetener is Classic Syrup, which is flavorless sugar syrup. Valencia is the old standard for syrup, and is available upon request. (Note: Valencia is being phased out of Starbuck's syrup offerings.)
    Green
    Black
    Herbal infusions, such as Passion Fruit

Non-espresso based drinks. These are generally referred to as creamers or steamers. They are basically a latte with no espresso and are made with any available syrup.
    Hot chocolates
    Caramel apple ciders

Cold drinks include iced coffee, iced espresso and frappuccino. Same sizes and oz's, but no short size, and iced venti is 24 oz. Ice espressos are the same as their hot counterpart, except served over ice cubes (non-blended). There are two basic types of frappuccinos:

Coffee base
    Crème Base (CBB), which is a mix of a secret powder and nonfat milk.
    Coffee Light is made with Sucralose (splenda style sweetener) and is served sans whip, and a decaffeinated coffee base. Determine how much caffeine you want in your beverage. Remember that just because it’s bigger doesn't necessarily mean it will have more caffeine.

Espresso Drinks (This is my drink of choice). All Lattes, Cappuccinos, and macchiatos have the following shots:
    1 in short and tall
    2 in Grande and hot venti. I generally add one or two extra shots. I add two shots if the day is rather stressful.
    3 in iced venti

Americanos:
    2 in a tall
    3 in Grande
    My personal favorite, 4 in venti, I generally add one or two extra shots. I add two shots if the day is rather stressful.

Mocha Valencias:
    2 in a tall
    2 in Grande
    3 in venti
    Choose the type of milk or non-dairy creamer you want. If you opt for anything other than whole, non-fat, or 2%, you will be charged an additional cost. It is possible to create blended milk, which is a mix of whole and non fat, though its actual mixture will very depending upon the barista preparing it.

Whole
    2 percent (the standard unless specified - as of 2007)
    Nonfat
    Breve(half and half)
    Heavy Whipping Cream (un-whipped)
    Soy
    Organic

You can add whipped cream to any drink for no extra charge. Whipped cream is made with heavy whipping cream and 8 pumps of vanilla syrup.

Speak directly at the cashier after you have their attention, and when placing an order. If you must turn away to point to something, remember that speaking in a different direction will make it difficult for the cashier to hear you in a noisy environment.

Ask your cashier for any pastries or items from the 'ready to eat' case first, if desired. Do alternate the ordering of pastries and coffees as it will slow down your wait time, as well as everyone else's wait time behind you.

Now order your beverage and enjoy.

Starbucks also has a rather nice selection of music favorites from local and popular artists to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    1. Decide what you want to order before your turn in line...
    I think Seinfeld would call them the Coffee Nazis :)

You may have degrees in Business and Psychology, but I think my Engineering degree will be more useful trying to order something at Starbucks!