Thread: DTW 6/30 (KLM first day w/ 772) 56K SUPER NO!!!

DTW 6/30 (KLM first day w/ 772) 56K SUPER NO!!!

Alright, I edited a ton of shots! WARNING, if you are on a slow connection, press the red X on your browser now before its too late!!! ;)

I was out there to meet up with about 5 other guys to get the KLM 772 that is now serving Detroit. The weather wasn't 100% in the afternoon but it cleared up later on. I got there earlier than everyone else, and DTW was running on the 4's and 3's which is unusual and not the best for getting the heavies in the morning and early afternoon. So instead of doing that I headed up to the McNamara parking deck to get some departure shots, you don't get heavies from there (although the runway can handle it, but it is the shortest so they don't), but it is unusual for them to be on this side of the airport so I made the best of it.

Enjoy!!!

McNamara deck:

DC-9 country:

Frontier flight #1

Route maps:

Spirit of Kittyhawk landing:

Continental Dash 8, one of the ones I wanted to catch (ending service):

Industrial drive:

Dc-9's of all different sizes:

Fedex feeder:

2nd Lufthansa flight (subbed to a 330 from a 340 tonight):

I got there at noon and stayed till KLM departed. In between KLM arrival and departure, we got the Air France 330 departure (I missed getting a picture because I was driving BACK to our spot at the time after driving down the road to get a better shot, then thought it already departed), then ran back to the other side of the field for the LH landing.

KL was scheduled for departure at 9:11 PM, it got to the runway about on time, but then announced to the tower that they were having troubles:

KL618: "Uhh metro tower, we hold short 4L, seem to be having a (illegible) problem"
    135.0 twr: "O...k... Any idea how long it will be?"
    KL618: "Negative, we hold short here?"
    135.0 twr: "Ahh, sure KL618, hold short 4L at Alpha one"
    KL618: "Ok, hold short Alpha one"
    KL618: "Eh, tower do you see us fine?"
    135.0: "Yeah, we see you fine on our radar. Do you think you will be set to go in two to five minutes?"
    KL618: "Ah, no, we need to check this out"
    135.0 twr: "Alright, Northwest (insert flight number here) position and hold 4L, enter the runway at Alpha two, there is a KLM 777 that went mechanical at alpha one"

and this went on with the tower clearing aircraft to take off 4L via Alpha two until KLM interrupted:

KL618: "KL618 we got our problem solved and are ready to go"

By this time KLM was 20 minutes late and my only light left me so I was shooting in ISO 1600 at like 1/60th with F/4.5-5 ha....

But it was cool to see him depart with his lights and stuff. It would have been some awesome shots if he would have left on time

Again, sorry about your bandwidth!
    nwa FOREVER!

Re: DTW 6/30 (KLM first day w/ 772) 56K SUPER NO!!!

Awesome shots, you're pretty close ! I love seeing the dc-9's, although i'm only 15, and I don't have too many memories with it, my pops always tells me stories about it and I just love the sound of its engines ! :D Beautiful.
    "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
    — Leonardo da Vinci

Awesome set, Matt. Remind me again which lens(es) you're using?

Great stuff there Matt. I see another big hitter on JP with that ramp shot with all the DC9's.
    Makes me want to take a trip to DTW.

Thanks guys,

All of these shots were shot with my Canon 70-300 IS. I love the DC-9 myself, it is my favorite aircraft.

If any of you do ever make it out to DTW, let me know I can show you around.
    nwa FOREVER!

did I ever mention I don't like you :lol: :lol:

Great shots brother!!
    "lol retart"

Hey, Matt:

I am going to DTW in October and it will be my first time there.

I would really appreciate you telling us the location(s) from which you took these shots. If you have any maps that might help, I would REALLY appreciate that too!

Thanks,
    Steve Kurtz
    [email protected]

Frickin sweet shots dude!