Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What is happening to G-BOAD (disturbing photos)- UPDATED

Re: What is happening to G-BOAD (caution: disturbing photos)

I'm going to give the Intrepid a call.

In the meantime, anyone interested in being a part of a group to help out on this, just post here, or Email/PM me.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I'd definitely be interested in helping/being part of an organized group.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    As a NYer, Im disgraced.
    ... Without NY, Concorde would have never gotten out of the gate. The proper place for it would have been at JFK.
    Ha. The other side of this coin is that if BA and the UK govt were not as persistent to overcome the bile and anti-Concorde movement in the early 70s, there wouldn't have been a Concorde either.

An ex-NYer

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by dairwin
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    As a NYer, Im disgraced.
    ... Without NY, Concorde would have never gotten out of the gate. The proper place for it would have been at JFK.
    Ha. The other side of this coin is that if BA and the UK govt were not as persistent to overcome the bile and anti-Concorde movement in the early 70s, there wouldn't have been a Concorde either.

An ex-NYer
    Welcome as its your first post. Ha? An interesting side of the coin. Take away the anti-Concorde movement you speak of and yet, where would it have flown had it not been NY?

Not sure how relevant your post is but welcome nonetheless.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Why so surprised?

Even the Concorde (in America) is just an "old tired dirty jetliner" to the public majority.

She would have been better off with props, because it could have been tagged as an antique.

I've already been down this road with one of Howard Hughes Convair CV-880's at TEB/ New Jersey Hall of Fame Museum, ship #3. Remember- this was the fastest jetliner of its day.

Chances are excellent G-BOAD will be scrapped or reclaimed by BA.

I saw the scrapping of the only complete intact CV-880, ship #13.
    Both multi million Boeing SSTs full size mock ups were pissed away (2707-100 all gone, 2707-300 only the nose was saved at the Hiler Museum after is sat in a field for years rotting.
    Even the first 747 looks like crap.

Face it- commercial aviation appreciation is almost non-existent in the USA.
    (Would be nice if the PAPD released some of its slush fund )
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Well the folks trolling the a.net forums are pissed

Phil, count me in (schedule permitting) on any efforts.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I have started to do some research, and once I've gathered some stuff together, I'll post about what we might be able to do. It could be letters to the people running it, letters to local media organizations, maybe even pointing some things out to BA or whomever that might be interested in seeing what's going on.

If any of you have ideas or other info that might be helpful, email me.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I've emailed ABC news as well as Fox5 News.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

I was considering writing to BA asking to see if they have a replacement cone; and permission for us to do some restoration work. I would be happy to help with any such work.

Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    I was considering writing to BA asking to see if they have a replacement cone; and permission for us to do some restoration work. I would be happy to help with any such work.
    From what I understand, BA has replacement noses amongst other parts and some Concorde engineers who work out of KJFK. It's now just whether they want to repair her, reclaim her, or scrap her.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Mmmm, maybe we can get the media involved like "7 on Your Side" or something like that. Embarass the heck out of the people who let this happen.

I heard about this earlier on today and I'm extremely upset at the way G-BOAD has been treated.

On 21 Oct 2003 I flew G-BOAD from Heathrow to JFK and had the greatest time of my life, i saw the sunrise 20 mins after it had set at Heathrow and believe me it was brilliant :D :D :D :D :D

G-BOAD was immaculate and in "brand new" condition, she flew at mach 2 effortlessly, she loved it.

On 30 Oct 2003 i had hanger visit at Heathrow and took the following photos
    :-

On 10 Nov 2003 i was at Heathrow to see her ferry flight to New York, the plane was perfect and i wrote a report about it see
    http://www.leconcorde.eu/com_forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

but today when i heard she had a broken nose this broke my heart and I'm glad you guys are keeping an eye on her :)

I e-mailed the CEO of BA and I'm waiting for reply.

I will read more of this thread to find out but has the airfield she's on got CCTV ?

When did it happen ?

What caused it ?

An ex-NYer
    I have to strongly disagree.

As far as i remember the anti Concorde movement mainly started in states by people who didnt understand Concorde or where scared of her for some reason.

When tests where done at JFK it was proven that most subsonics of the time where louder than Concorde at take off so she was allowed to use JFK and in time people fell in love with her. Had she not been allowed she would have been used for some thing as we and france had around 7 new Concordes each ready made and able to fly at mach 2 so a use would have been found.

At the time BA and AF where both state owned so it was natural for Concorde to be given to them.

Concorde was a joint venture between France and UK, as tax payers my parents and grand parents + others living both countries fund Concordes development as far as i remember every one in the UK was extremely proud of her, she was a world beating icon and was also used on to celebrate special occassions inc the Queen's golden jubilee.

G-BOAD was used on that day.

We made 14 Concordes at i think the design costs of the scrapped American SST (which never flew).

Concorde was mainly designed to fly from Europe to New York, but it was later proved that Concorde could fly to any part of the world much faster than subsonics.

In the winter months BA use to fly Concorde regularly to Barbados, in the 1980s BA started to make a profit on Concorde so believe me there was a market for her.

The following DVD
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concorde-27-Yea ... B0000C668W

has video of one these round the world flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I'm going to give the Intrepid a call.

In the meantime, anyone interested in being a part of a group to help out on this, just post here, or Email/PM me.
    I would love to help but I live in the UK so you’re to far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors
    Even the Concorde (in America) is just an "old tired dirty jetliner" to the public majority.
    That’s like saying the world thinks the moon was lifeless rock in space, an utter waste of $25 billion and going back there would be “old fashioned”…….but Nasa is going back to the moon, China has plans etc.

G-BOAD is still a world record holder, she is the fastest Concorde in BAs fleet, she is the fastest airline in North America so she is extremely special. Only an AF Concorde was faster than G-BOAD, but the point is Concorde is the fastest airliner in the world, nothing could match her.

Only plane which could beat Concorde long range was the SR71, no other plane not even the USAF B1B could beat Concorde long distance.

The public need to be educated about Concorde and what she is…….. they don’t understand what Concorde could really do.

The technology was decades a head of her time, to fly at mach 2 she used supercruise.

That technology has only recently been used in the latest USAF and RAF fighters........ Concorde had and used that technology up to 4 times a day, every day for 27 years.

She could fly to any part of the world faster than any one else........ think about it.....

She could fly Heathrow to JFK in 3 ½ hrs at twice the speed of sound……. it takes a subsonic plane like 747 and even the “new” Airbus A380 double the time (7-8 hrs) to make the same journey.

Given the choice what would people do ……. spend 3 ½ hrs flying to New York or 7-8 hrs making the same journey ?

People would choose the fastest method.

Even flying subsonic over land she still flew 100 mph faster than other subsonic planes, so she was fast, Strangely she drank more fuel at subsonic speed than at mach 2.

She could have been used to send people to disaster zones across the world and help save lives (as in a disaster the faster you get rescue staff to an area the better chance you have to save more people), but no one thought laterally, no one really used Concorde’s speed and time saving ability.

People say “she was dirty” but before her production was scrapped there where plans to make Concorde B, if development had carried on we could have seen a greener 300 seat version of Concorde by now in regular use with less sonic boom etc

It was all there for the taking……… but no one developed her.

She would have been better off with props, because it could have been tagged as an antique.
    Not sure what that means……. If you mean having life size model of her rather than the real plane then I agree.

Chances are excellent G-BOAD will be scrapped.
    No way …….. over my dead body…. in the UK would not allow that to happen, we’d rather have her taken apart, put on ship and sent home than be scrapped.

or reclaimed by BA
    Not sure …….. some people say Willy Walsh - CEO of BA isn’t interested in Concorde but BA still own her, she is there flagship so he will have to do some thing to keep her safe as the public won’t stand her being scrapped.

I am in too. I doubt they would let us do the renovating, but there has to be some way we can raise money to complete it. Maybe use the aviator sports complex to host some sort of charity event?