Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: What is happening to G-BOAD (disturbing photos)- UPDATED

Re: What is happening to G-BOAD (disturbing photos)- UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    LOL, uh not to be disrespectful, but you are kidding arent you?
    No worries :)

I ain't kidding just wondering what will happen to her in bad weather when
    she goes back, will Intrepid put a tent or marquee over her to protect her ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder
    LOL, uh not to be disrespectful, but you are kidding arent you?
    No worries :)

I ain't kidding just wondering what will happen to her in bad weather when
    she goes back, will Intrepid put a tent or marquee over her to protect her ?
    Open to the elements 24/7, 365.
    At least as far as I know. Then again what the heck do I know. :D

[quote="Gerard"]Hey guys and girls the Encore Mystery Channel (352 on iO Cablevision on L.I.) this Saturday morning at 2AM is showing.............
    "The Concorde: Airport '79"

Watched this "movie" last night and boy was it Baaaaaaad!!!! But some cool Concorde footage.
    Hey i didnt know that the Concorde could do barrel rolls, loops and violent evasive maneuvers? Here it can.
    But on a serious side, I read on the IMDB board for this yarn that the plane used in the movie, F-BTSC was the Air France Concorde that crashed
    on take-off in 2000 in France killing all on board. That's a little creepy.

Hey guys and girls the Encore Mystery Channel (352 on iO Cablevision on L.I.) this Saturday morning at 2AM is showing.............
    "The Concorde: Airport '79"

Watched this "movie" last night and boy was it Baaaaaaad!!!! But some cool Concorde footage.
    Hey i didnt know that the Concorde could do barrel rolls, loops and violent evasive maneuvers? Here it can.
    I watched that a few times and I agree with you, it was a bad movie with the classic "plastic" stereo type actors, the scenes with the real Concorde in it where great though.

The original Airport (one with the 707 stuck in snow) was the best out of the lot.

Phil

Has there been any update on G-BOAD ?

Have you got any new photos of her ?

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Jetinder, nothing's changed as of yet. Current photos were taken by someone else who may or may not post them here.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

HI

I am a English guy in New York and the other day cycling around flat bush I saw G-BOAD in this state in a car park, when I was 17 I too stood in a car park, but it was Heathrow airport and I watched the first passenger maiden flight of Concord out of the UK. I cant tell you how sad I am to see her in this state. I have checked the UK news sites including the BBC and the truck indecent has not made it to the UK.

Count me in for any groups who want to help G-BOAD

John

British Airways Will Pay

I just learned that British Airways has agreed to pay to repair the broken radome from Concorde G-BOAD at Floyd Bennett Field. I still don't know if the original piece will be used or if a totally new part will be used. What happened to the broken piece anyway? Was it retrieved or stolen? Concorde fans would prefer the original piece be re-attached, if possible. I still feel that the trucking company causing the accident should be liable but the case would have to go to court and could take years to settle. I have avoided seeing this Concorde after the accident. Seeing a Concorde with a broken nose is like seeing a Broadway musical with no orchestra.

Re: British Airways Will Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I just learned that British Airways has agreed to pay to repair the broken radome from Concorde G-BOAD at Floyd Bennett Field.
    Thats brilliant but G-BOAD is in Intrepid's care so Intrepid or more accurately Floyd Bennett Field / the truck which hit her should have paid for it.

I still don't know if the original piece will be used or if a totally new part will be used.
    From the photos i saw on here i guess the nose would have been very very badly damaged, considering G-BOAD will never fly a car body repair shop (see firms like ones on Pimp my ride) could have done a brilliant repair job to it with fiber glass....... but who knows.

Concorde fans would prefer the original piece be re-attached, if possible.
    If the original was not broken or was repairable then yes, if the nose is to badly broken then its best to have a new one put on her.

I still feel that the trucking company causing the accident should be liable but the case would have to go to court and could take years to settle.
    I agree.

Seeing a Concorde with a broken nose is like seeing a Broadway musical with no orchestra.
    ......... it hurts like hell but no use crying over spilled milk....... whats done is done, best thing to do is get her fixed and make sure she is safe.

I would imagine the fabrication cost of a nose cone built to original specs is well higher than the value of the truck that hit it! Not even worth suing.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The nose will be fixed at FBF just before they move the plane next month.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Since her grounding, since BA and Air France sold off or scrapped all of her spare parts i'm not sure if they had a spare nose cone lying around......

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I would imagine the fabrication cost of a nose cone built to original specs is well higher than the value of the truck that hit it! Not even worth suing.
    It depends on wether or not BA chose to make it to original specs or wether they chose to go just for looks and had one made which looks original but nothing else, after all she'll never fly so whats the point of spending huge sums making one to original spec....... dunno.

The nose will be fixed at FBF just before they move the plane next month.
    Brilliant news :) Next month is the 5th anniversary of my flight on her from LHR-JFK, so moving her to safe place will be perfect timing.

I also concur with all the postings. I am especially ashamed as I am a Brooklynite. Aviator Sports was entrusted with caretaking for an historic airliner and did not do a proper job. Besides the nose incident, I saw graffitti, Concorde engines exposed to the elements, etc. It's now amusing that the guard at Aviator yelled at me several times for taking so many photos through the fence. Where was he when the truck crashed into the aircraft? I had visited the Concorde on several occasions there before the nose damage and had a great time at Floyd Bennett Field. Private tours were given of the old Control Tower and the hangar with old aircraft is great! After the damage, I refused to visit, as I would find the images too disturbing for me as an avid Concorde fan. Fortunately, she was repaired but now it costs over $20 to visit her at the Intrepid Pier. I am grateful for Phil's editorial as he echoes my feelings. Hopefully, G-BOAD will be well-guarded by the Intrepid

>Fortunately, she was repaired but now it costs over $20 to visit her at the Intrepid Pier.

Well if you are spending $20 just to visit the Concorde then that is steep but last I looked there are a ton of things to
    do at the Intrepid and $20 aint so bad.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Besides the nose incident, I saw graffitti, Concorde engines exposed to the elements, etc. It's now amusing that the guard at Aviator yelled at me several times for taking so many photos through the fence. Where was he when the truck crashed into the aircraft?
    You have nothing to be ashamed of, you and others on here did your very best to tell the world about her and to keep an eye on her.

Thanks to you guys in New York we all saw how badly she was looked after by Floyd Bennett Field.

What amazes me is how the security staff started yelling at you for taking photos, but didn't do a thing to stop that truck from ripping her nose off. You didn't do anything wrong, you didn't do anything bad.

Those security guards are a bunch of idiots, if they did their job properly then none of the damage and heart ache would have happened.

$20 is steep to see her but if Intrepid look after then good on them. if you do go on her and you're allowed to go to the back you'll see my seat next to the window.