Thread: In Search for Travel Advice

In Search for Travel Advice

I would like to get an advice on the following matter: last month I booked a flight with Continental from Boston to Seattle via Newark (one way). The flight is scheduled for October, and I booked it after closely examining the airline's timetable, finding out that I have some 3 hours between the two flights.

Last Sunday I got an e-mail from Continental, telling me that the flight from EWR to SEA is now scheduled to take off 2 hours earlier, which leaves me with a maximum of 1 hour between the two flights. Knowing how reliable U.S. airlines are in terms of arriving on time, I am deeply concerned that even if I manage to get on the flight to SEA, my baggage will not.

My question is: can I simply skip the flight leg from BOS to EWR, and check in at Newark for my flight leg to SEA? Or can the airline tell me: nope, you practically gave up your seat on that flight because you didn't show up in Boston?

Thanks in advance.
    Izhar

Re: In Search for Travel Advice

Generally if you don't show up for one leg of a reservation, they cancel the whole reservation.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Continental is very reliable for the most part, although you might want to contact them and see what they say on the matter

I appriciate the candid replies. I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board.

Izhar

As noted above, once you skip one segment the rest of the itinerary is canceled--usually with no exceptions.

CO's minimum connection time is 45 minutes, although that can vary by airport (I couldn't find the specific time for EWR).

Is the BOS-EWR segment operated by Continental Express? That flight would get into Terminal A at EWR, and you would then have to transfer to Terminal C for the SEA flight. There is a shuttle bus between A and C that will not require you to re-clear security. But if you BOS-EWR flight gets into Terminal C, you would just have to walk to your EWR-SEA gate.

For your situation, I would suggest calling CO to see if your new connection time (you didn't say the exact time) falls within their "legal" time for EWR. If it doesn't, they should re-book you at no charge. If BOS-EWR is operated by Continental Express and you'll have to switch terminals, be sure to mention that to them.

CO will not change your ticket for free if you think there's a chance your luggage may not make it. So if you are seriously concerned about your luggage and your connection time at EWR is legal (and CO won't change your flights), then you could pay to change the flights. Although, IMHO, you and your luggage should be fine.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Quote Originally Posted by Winglets747
    As noted above, once you skip one segment the rest of the itinerary is canceled--usually with no exceptions.

CO's minimum connection time is 45 minutes, although that can vary by airport (I couldn't find the specific time for EWR).

Is the BOS-EWR segment operated by Continental Express? That flight would get into Terminal A at EWR, and you would then have to transfer to Terminal C for the SEA flight. There is a shuttle bus between A and C that will not require you to re-clear security. But if you BOS-EWR flight gets into Terminal C, you would just have to walk to your EWR-SEA gate.

For your situation, I would suggest calling CO to see if your new connection time (you didn't say the exact time) falls within their "legal" time for EWR. If it doesn't, they should re-book you at no charge. If BOS-EWR is operated by Continental Express and you'll have to switch terminals, be sure to mention that to them.

CO will not change your ticket for free if you think there's a chance your luggage may not make it. So if you are seriously concerned about your luggage and your connection time at EWR is legal (and CO won't change your flights), then you could pay to change the flights. Although, IMHO, you and your luggage should be fine.

Thank you for the reply. It may prove to be very useful for me because, believe it or not, since I first posted my question here last week, CO have changed their schedule again! And this time they didn't notify me by e-mail, and I learned about it quite accidentally. It turned out that The flight from BOS to EWR arrives at 11:01am, and the flight to SEA takes off at 11:45am, which leaves me with a 44 minutes connecting time. According to your post, that falls short of the 45 minutes "legal" connecting time.
    What is your advice about that?

(BTW, as far as I know the BOS flight is not a Continental Connection flight because it operates with B738)

Izhar

I would call CO. I wouldn't feel comfirtable with anything less than an hour of connection time regardless of the airline or airport. You booked your ticket with a nice three hour window so I'm sure they would re-accomodate. A similar thing happened to me when I flew US LGA-CLT-FAY. I had a 1 hour 35 min commection but they changed the LGA-CLT flight leaving me with 55 minutes. Given my concern over an on-time departure from LGA I told this to the CSR over the phone and wanted minimum 1 hr 10 minutes to connect so she changed my whole itinerary with no charge. Give it a shot.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    I would call CO. I wouldn't feel comfirtable with anything less than an hour of connection time regardless of the airline or airport. You booked your ticket with a nice three hour window so I'm sure they would re-accomodate. A similar thing happened to me when I flew US LGA-CLT-FAY. I had a 1 hour 35 min commection but they changed the LGA-CLT flight leaving me with 55 minutes. Given my concern over an on-time departure from LGA I told this to the CSR over the phone and wanted minimum 1 hr 10 minutes to connect so she changed my whole itinerary with no charge. Give it a shot.
    I think I will give it a shot. But still, it's quite sad to see the path that U.S. airlines are traveling through right now, and the effect it has on us, the travelers.

Izhar

If you fall short of the 45 min connection time then I don't see why CO would have a problem changing it for you. However....you just might screw yourself even more. Your departure times are during a time of day that doesn't see many delays and both flights will prob leave and arrive on-time if not early. Taking a later SEA flight may mean you're delayed out of EWR to SEA. If anything I'd try to take an earlier flight out of BOS.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    If you fall short of the 45 min connection time then I don't see why CO would have a problem changing it for you. However....you just might screw yourself even more. Your departure times are during a time of day that doesn't see many delays and both flights will prob leave and arrive on-time if not early. Taking a later SEA flight may mean you're delayed out of EWR to SEA. If anything I'd try to take an earlier flight out of BOS.
    I talked to CO and they booked me on an earlier flight from BOS. It's the least worst solution for this mess. The troubling thing in all this is that if I wouldn't have contacted CO actively, the airline would probably left things as they are and not even send me a simple e-mail notyfing me about the changed schedule.

There will be much to talk about in the follwing months concerning U.S. airlines...

Izhar

Yup, I make it a habit of checking my flight reservationjs about once a week just to make sure everything looks kosher...orbitz pulled a stunt like that once--changing my flights without warning. AA did the same as well--no notification. To their credit, US and DL both notified me via phone and e-mail when there was a change in flight times.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I would always find out on my own by checking my itinerary on delta.com. Delta never notified me of a schedule change. I have had my share of them with DL.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Same here, I check infrequently to make sure everything is ok. Delta changed my flight without notifying me last month.