Thread: ACARS 101?

ACARS 101?

Ok, so in the years I've been into aviation I've used FlightAware, my scanner and my eyes. But I've never used ACARS, so I have a few questions. Namely, what the hell is it and how do I use it? :?:

-James

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: ACARS 101?

Aircraft Communication Adressing and Reporting System
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraf...porting_System

it is a meathod of communicating textually between aircraft and ground stations (like dispatchers or operations). think of it as text messaging for airplanes, only that it came before cell phones.

as far as what certain members here use to read acars messages and reports i don't know. i have it at work and can only use it for my company's flights.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

You can use a pocket scanner, and connect it to your computer. It will show you some random communications that aircraft make, its fun though.

Check out this old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11479

As Matt stated ACARS is a mode of communication between aircraft and groundstations. A2A or G2G A2G G2A. ACARS decoders pick up these transmissions, decodes them and displays the information in usable text format.
    You can pick up everything from a pilot requesting sports scores to toilet fluid levels to aircraft engine performance data maybe even a (pilot trying to get that hot date with a dispatcher)

On the basic level:
    -You need a ACARS decoder
    -At least one scanner that picks up the aviation freq range
    -Audio cable that goes from the scanner's ear jack to the line-in on your sound card
    -Patience and a willingless to learn :)

If you enjoy it as much as I do it will develope into a hobby.
    I have been using ACARSD since 2003. I recommend it. Airnav also has one.
    http://acarsd.org
    It is also an invaluable recourse in tracking aircraft.
    Sample image of ACARSD.

Senga

aha, a few questions....

What would be the best external antenna to get, and is there a way to export the lists to our website like wash/balt spotters?
    nwa FOREVER!

Any one will do. I have found my Sportys Antenna have GREAT reception I ordered many from them from the parts department as they pick up the aviation range very well and are sent out with "aviation range" scanners. The radio shack ones (Generic) one are very poor when it comes to the aviaiton band. The same company seems to make them and many scanner brands use it on their models.

Most people seem to have this antenna. Unfortunately it doent pick up at far distances like planes etc.

I think its just as important to have a "clean" frequency enviornment. Like making sure your equipment is installed in a place where you can minimize RF noise. RF noise can contaminate and reduced the quality of the signals you are recieving. I had a problem a few years ago that was disrupting the RF around my house. Eventually I found out (a yera later) that my Digital Cameras recharger station was emitting very strongly over the bands I was monitoring. I was even able to pick it up out side of the house.

Yes you can import you ACARSD logs. I don't do that msyelf though.
    I save them on my PC but I don't send out my logs.
    Senga

Any one will do. I have found my Sportys Antenna have GREAT reception I ordered many from them from the parts department as they pick up the aviation range very well and are sent out with "aviation range" scanners. The radio shack ones (Generic) one are very poor when it comes to the aviaiton band. The same company seems to make them and many scanner brands use it on their models. Most people seem to have this antenna. Unfortunately it doent pick up at far distances like planes etc.

I think its just as important to have a "clean" frequency enviornment. Like making sure your equipment is installed in a place where you can minimize RF noise. RF noise can contaminate and reduced the quality of the signals you are recieving. I had a problem a few years ago that was disrupting the RF around my house. Eventually I found out (a yera later) that my Digital Cameras recharger station was emitting very strongly over the bands I was monitoring. I was even able to pick it up out side of the house.

Yes you can import you ACARSD logs. I don't do that msyelf though.
    I save them on my PC but I don't send out my logs.
    Senga

I use my brother's Ham radio that picks up VHF transmissions, and this seems fun! His antenna sticks out 10 feet above our chimney. It's big. Senga, how do you save them?
    "lol retart"

stuart,
    How do I save the logs?

There are several ways to save logs on ACARDS. You can see "Export content of this window" button on the left side of the images I uploaded. Or you can save the data from the main screen that incudes the message data and other bits on in formation. There are several ways to configure the program to auto save logs. Default is after midnight rotation. It then start logging the new day. You can alo select how and what data you want saved and in what order.
    txt file of csv format
    Senga