Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port's JFK, EWR, and LGA Plan

Re: Port's JFK, EWR, and LGA Plan

About 10 years ago when US still had a large Mainline operation at LGA there was tall of tearing down Hangars 4 -5 and building a single level Express concourse between the current US gates 1-10 and the A concourse. Once US ops changed making that unneeded the plan Phil D and emshighway described became the latest plan that I had heard.

The two main reasons I heard the Port wanted to do this was to

A) Widen the current CTB concourses, they are very narrow which translates into small (even tiny) holdrooms and limited space for concessions. Take A for example, I can't even imagine how crowded it was when EA had a couple of full L-1011's, A-300's, and 757's going to Florida back in the day. It's pretty bad with just 737's, A-320's, and E-jets of CO,AC, and B6.

B) The other thing they want to accompolish is to have enough space between the concourses to allow two way aircraft movement in the alleyways, as pictured in their drawing, something that is impossible now but would do a lot to reduce current taxiway congestion.

I would be really surprised though if AA would be willing to give up their current and very historic hangars. Some of you might not be aware that when opened in I believe the early 1940's the front offices still visible from the entrance road actually housed AA's Main Corporate or General Office (headquarters) which later moved to mid-town Manhattan until the move to DFW.

Still is an interesting plan, but the airport would be a big construction mess for probably the next 20 years, to match the congestion mess on LGA's taxiways and ramps.

Cheers

LGA777

LGA777 is right on many of his staements. I haven't heard of touching the AA Hangers. One because AA won't let them go and two they are probably protected by landmark rules.

We have some offices in hanger 3 and eventhough the hanger are run down they are some of the toughest buildings I have ever seen.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Motivation behind that "plan":

Random Port bureaucrat #1: "Hey, we get a free trip to Madrid for a conference! All we have to do is give a 10 minute Power Point."
    Random Port bureaucrat #2: "Bitchin'! My 8 year old is good with the computer, I'll have her work on it."
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Motivation behind that "plan":

Random Port bureaucrat #1: "Hey, we get a free trip to Madrid for a conference! All we have to do is give a 10 minute Power Point."
    Random Port bureaucrat #2: "Bitchin'! My 8 year old is good with the computer, I'll have her work on it."
    Oh So true....
    "lol retart"

Hey how about some credit for where it came from.