Thread: 1/3 of People Shot By Tasers Need Medical Attention

1/3 of People Shot By Tasers Need Medical Attention

One-third of people shot by Taser need medical attention: probe
    Last Updated: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 | 10:14 AM ET

About one in three people shot with a Taser by the RCMP receive injuries that require medical attention, according to a joint investigation by CBC News/Radio-Canada and the Canadian Press.

The media outlets, which analyzed the Taser-use forms RCMP officers are required to fill out if they draw a stun gun, examined reports from 2002 to 2007. According to the data, 28 per cent, or 910 of the 3,226 people who were shot, had to go to a medical facility.

But a detailed examination of the forms revealed that many more people are injured, yet never see a doctor. [Full Article]
    The study fails to mention that in comparison, 100% (or 3/3rds) of people shot by firearms or cracked upside the head with a nightstick require medical attention.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: 1/3 of People Shot By Tasers Need Medical Attention

The study also fails to mention, those cooperating with the authorities did not require tasering and therefore did not require medical attention.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

it also fails to mention those that don't cause trouble that don't require being shot in the first place.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'm glad all my points have already been mentioned. :P

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    The study also fails to mention, those cooperating with the authorities did not require tasering and therefore did not require medical attention.
    Absolutely.

But I don't think the article was finding fault with police for using Tasers, as much as it was with the misconception that Tasers are "safe". If they didn't cause injury, they'd be rather useless in those situations where people are not cooperating with the cops and need to be Tasered, no?

When the taser was first introduced by NYPD it was protocol to call for EMS. Most of this was for removal of the barbed probes.

I hate these civil liberties spun articles.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

It is still Protocol for anyone tasered to have an EKG to assure they weren't shocked into a dysrythmia. Surprisingly most don't refuse, I guess it helps when they sue the city.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

I doubt EMS was called back in the days of 106th precinct torturing confessions out of teenage drug suspects using stun guns.

The police force has come a long way from that era of Koch and Ward.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    I doubt EMS was called back in the days of 106th precinct torturing confessions out of teenage drug suspects using stun guns.

The police force has come a long way from that era of Koch and Ward.

Tom
    We are talking about the NYPD issued Tasers which fire two probes connected to wire. The stun guns you reference are the type that actually have to touch a person and I don't believe they were NYPD issued.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I believe the early stun guns were issued to/by the NYPD in the 1980s. Yes, they were the earlier technology and not widely used.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I know a retired boss that worked the area around that time, I'll ask him the next time I see him.
    Ronald Reagan

If there is a misconception that tasers are safe, then people are stupid. They are intended to be NON-LETHAL, not necessarily safe.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    If there is a misconception that tasers are safe, then people are stupid. They are intended to be NON-LETHAL, not necessarily safe.
    Yep. If they were safe Taser International would not hesitate to make a kids version. They already introduced a women's self-defense model that comes in a variety of colors, including pink and leopard print.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9