Thread: Night Photography in New York

Night Photography in New York

Tomorrow, I leave here for 5 days in New York. I want to do some night shooting, but I need some help. Is it best to use a low ISO? How slow should the shutter speed be?

Also, where are some good spots in Midtown Manhattan to get great night shots, other than Times Square?

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Night Photography in New York

Depends on what kind of shots you want. Most of the night shots in New York I've found interesting are skyline shots. You need to leave Manhattan for those, but a bunch of spots are easily reachable by public transit.

In any case, use a tripod and ISO 100. Then you can you use whatever shutter speed you want. For my skyline shots, I usually use something like ISO 100, f/8, and a shutter speed between 4 and 10 seconds, depending on what my camera's light meter says and what kind of look I'm going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris102
    Also, where are some good spots in Midtown Manhattan to get great night shots, other than Times Square?
    -Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center gives great views of the whole city, lines are probably a lot more reasonable than those at the Empire State Building, plus you get to shoot the ESB, which you obviously can't do if you're on it. I think it's $12.
    -Columbus Circle is really pretty at night with the fountains are all lit up.
    -Grand Central Terminal, which is indoors, but the giant windows mean different lighting depending on time of day.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Matt's suggestions gave me an idea...Central Park!

ISO 100, f/8, 60 sec (although I increased the exposure by a little over one stop in ACR...proper exposure probably would have been a little over two minutes)