Thread: 10 Crazy Things Airlines are Doing to Save Fuel

10 Crazy Things Airlines are Doing to Save Fuel

We've all heard about the various methods airlines have begun using to reduce the fuel cost of their fleets, ranging from flying at slower speeds to taxiing with a single engine. The carriers have now urgently begun adopting some lesser publicized methods to reduce the weight of their aircraft...even a few pounds saved multiplied across a fleet of hundreds of planes and thousands of flights can add up to millions of dollars in savings. Here are 10 of the most, shall we say interesting, ways the airlines are attempting to trim fat.

1. Drink before you fly: Japan Airlines has stopped serving beer to non-first class customers on domestic flights:
    Savings: 210 pounds per flight

2. Bare metal jacket: It doesn't look very heavy, but the weight of a thin coat of paint adds up when it's covering the surface area of a football field. Cathay Pacific is stripping the paint off some of their 747 freighters.
    Savings: 440 pounds per plane

3. Flying clean: Dirty aircraft surfaces and engines increase drag and weight, which of course increase fuel consumption. American Airlines and Southwest have begun cleaning their planes more frequently to fight the problem.
    Savings: Southwest estimates they've saved $1.6 million on fuel wasted by dirt-related drag just since they began their extra cleaning program in April, while American estimates they will save $331 million.

4. One manual per cockpit: The captain and first officer on any commercial flight each carry their own set of flight manuals. If Delta gets its way, only one set of manuals would be carried, and eventually will be replaced by electronic flight bag computers.
    Savings: 6 pounds per flight, 2 or 3 pounds more once electronic flight bags are approved.

5. Lighter seats: Many airliner seats, including those on JetBlue aircraft, are being replaced with newer models that weigh up to 5 pounds less.
    Savings: Nearly 800 pounds on a 156 seat JetBlue Airbus, more on larger aircraft.

6. New drink carts: In their tireless effort to trim fat from their aircraft, American targeted the humble drink cart, and replaced it with a new model that weighs in 17 pounds lighter.
    Savings: 1.9 million gallons of Jet-A over the course of the year

7. Less reading material: JAL is shrinking the piles of periodicals it lugs around on international flights.
    Savings: 50 pounds per flight

8. Water, water everywhere...: Northwest realized that the big water tanks on its international flights were returning from long-haul jaunts only half drained by bathroom goers. Weighing over 8 pounds a gallon, unnecessary water was a big fuel waster. Northwest now carries 25% less water on these flights. Singapore Airlines has begun partially filling two water tanks rather than topping off all three.
    Savings: "Every 25 pounds we remove, we save $440,000 a year," according to Tim McGraw, Northwest's director of corporate environmental and safety programs.

9. Lighter luggage containers: Cathay Pacific has ditched the old aluminum boxes they used to lug luggage in favor of new ones made of Twintex.
    Savings: 50 pounds per container

10. Eat lighter: Another novel idea from our friends at JAL: Smaller silverware.
    Savings: 0.07 ounces per setting.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: 10 Crazy Things Airlines are Doing to Save Fuel

Crazy perhaps, but I would say innovative.

Airlines now really need to examine every aspect of their operations to see where they can save fuel, especially on useless things (heavy galley carts, etc.)
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

3. Flying clean: Dirty aircraft surfaces and engines increase drag and weight, which of course increase fuel consumption. American Airlines and Southwest have begun cleaning their planes more frequently to fight the problem.
    Savings: Southwest estimates they've saved $1.6 million on fuel wasted by dirt-related drag just since they began their extra cleaning program in April, while American estimates they will save $331 million
    Think of all that money Air France could be saving.

Next, they're going to start making you go to the bathroom before you enter the plane to save weight

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Savings: Southwest estimates they've saved $1.6 million on fuel wasted by dirt-related drag just since they began their extra cleaning program in April, while American estimates they will save $331 million
    Think of all that money Air France could be saving.
    You beat me to it John!!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Next, they're going to start making you go to the bathroom before you enter the plane to save weight
    Don't give them any ideas!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Don't give them any ideas!
    Lol, I'd like to be the one that has to prove I went.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

I just thought of a new idea.

Well, not new really.

Pay toilets on the plane but with a twist

Add some tasty thermophilic bacteria into some of the food served on the airplane and you've got yourself a potential river (pun intended) of money on each flight!!!

(of course, you can only have 2-3 cases per plane, so no one catches on.)

Charge $3 toilet per use fee. Count on 3 people who'll have MULTIPLE visits to the can plus your random loo users and you've got yourself a winner!

......AAny takers??? AAnyone?? I'm sure AAt leAAst one AAirline might consider it.

Think its crazy now?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Some might argue the cleaning expenses would top the revenue from the bathroom admissions.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    Some might argue the cleaning expenses would top the revenue from the bathroom admissions.

ONe phrase answer.

"hose down plastic stalls"

I have got this airline $$$ efficiency nipped! :mrgreen:
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

As an affordable alternative to the $3 bathroom fee, adult diapers will be available for purchase for $2.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    ......AAny takers??? AAnyone?? I'm sure AAt leAAst one AAirline might consider it.
    hahaha which airline might consider it?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath