Thread: A busy few weeks at LGA Delta

A busy few weeks at LGA Delta

Delta will begin a paperless boarding pass pilot tomorrow 6/17 (with a media event), Diamond Self Select Queuing Lanes on Saturday 6/21 with a media event on the 25th and Clear Registered Traveler on 7/8.

The paperless boarding pass will allow passengers with web enabled cell phones to bring up an electronic boarding pass with an Aztec 2D bar code. The passenger can bypass the ticket counter and kiosks and go straight to the checkpoint queue. They will then show their ID at the Ticket Document Checker and scan their phone. Then at the gate they will scan again and on the plane they go.

The Diamond Self Select Lanes is a TSA initiative where the checkpoint queues are reconfigured to ease the burden of going through the checkpoint. Lanes such as Expert, Casual and Family allow passengers to pick the lane they need. Experts get to go through easier and faster since they don't get stuck behind less experienced passengers. Casual and Family lanes give the passengers the extra assistance they may need. Also customer service representative will be on hand aid with questions and divesting.

Clear Registered traveler will be added to the checkpoint queue. Persons who have signed up for any of the registered traveler programs can use the clear lane by producing their card and will be assisted through the checkpoint.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: A busy few weeks at LGA Delta

Paperless boarding pass is interesting, hadn't heard Delta was working on it. As far as I know this is the first use outside of Continental at a few airports, is that right?

I had heard about the Clear deal...their JFK terminal will also have a Clear lane beginning the same day as LGA.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That is a pretty cool idea... Surprised DAL is the first one to take it up, usually JBU tries these things.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    The Diamond Self Select Lanes is a TSA initiative where the checkpoint queues are reconfigured to ease the burden of going through the checkpoint. Lanes such as Expert, Casual and Family allow passengers to pick the lane they need. Experts get to go through easier and faster since they don't get stuck behind less experienced passengers. Casual and Family lanes give the passengers the extra assistance they may need. Also customer service representative will be on hand aid with questions and divesting.
    that's a good idea, except every snotty pax will think they're an expert and tie up that line. IMO they're the worst ones... it bugs me when people really don't know what they're doing and try sneaking through. even when flying with a laptop, camera and rollaboard i was through i can get through a checkpoint in less than a minute. (the line on the other hand takes upteen times that amount.)

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Clear Registered traveler will be added to the checkpoint queue. Persons who have signed up for any of the registered traveler programs can use the clear lane by producing their card and will be assisted through the checkpoint.
    does this really speed up the process? i've seen the checkpoints in DCA and even been asked to sign up. i kindly replied "i'm an employee" which earned me a nasty look from the girl at the kiosk.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter

I had heard about the Clear deal...their JFK terminal will also have a Clear lane beginning the same day as LGA.
    ALB has had the Clear lane for a while now. I have yet to see anyone use it.

Diamond self-select has been at MCO for a while now with great results. It's obviously a good choice as it has its mix of business/casual and lots of families traveling. For the most part, people were reasonable with the lane they chose.
    Worry is a sustained form of fear, caused by indecision.

We shall see how the Diamond Self Select works. In theory it should be good but as you said some will think they know what they are doing but then slow everything down. The other experienced passengers will probably school the slowpoke.

The CTB B checkpoint has had Clear for a while and I think I may have seen two people use it. Once the regular line was empty and the person walked up to the Clear lane so it took them twice the time it should have.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

to be honest, what does the clear lane even offer pax? i've been wondering what traveling will be once i've left the airlines. maybe it's worth the investment...

then again, maybe i should just save the $$$ to fund my avgas requirements. :mrgreen:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    to be honest, what does the clear lane even offer pax? i've been wondering what traveling will be once i've left the airlines. maybe it's worth the investment...
    You prove to them who you are via ID and fingerprint and/or iris scan and DHS does a background check. Once your account is set up, you go through their dedicated lines at the airport, they scan your eye or finger rather than handing over ID, and their associates help carry your luggage to TSA screeners.

The pro: It saves you time
    The cons: It's $100 a year, plus a one time $28 TSA background check fee; the government gets a digital copy of your eyeball; and it only works at a couple dozen airports, and not even all the terminals at those airports.

If you happen to fly to and from two of those airports frequently, it's probably worth it. Otherwise, no.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

the government gets a digital copy of your eyeball
    Not really, the biometric stays with the registered traveler company.
    Ronald Reagan

The pro: It saves you time
    The cons: It's $100 a year, plus a one time $28 TSA background check fee; the government gets a digital copy of your eyeball; and it only works at a couple dozen airports, and not even all the terminals at those airports.

If you happen to fly to and from two of those airports frequently, it's probably worth it. Otherwise, no.
    I agree. You are basically paying an extra fee to cut in the front of the security line.

Quote Originally Posted by SmAlbany
    I agree. You are basically paying an extra fee to cut in the front of the security line.
    Exactly
    Ronald Reagan

I agree, and at airports like JFK it isn't really necessary with several smaller terminals as opposed to the mega terminal. However at an airport like MCO I can see where it can be a HUGE timesaver!
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath