Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Red Arrows to visit Republic Airport

Re: Red Arrows to visit Republic Airport

Just got back from FRG and it was pretty awesome the two flybys they made. Got there after 6:30 and saw everyone parked along New Highway so I did the same. It was after 7 when I heard the Tower talking to "Red Arrow 1", a "Flight of 10" though I only heard the Tower side. They were going to come in on One-Four and I was looking that way into the bright sun when all of a sudden they blasted across the runways mid-field
    west to east, circled then came right down New Highway low and fast right over our heads, then breaking off one at a time to land on One-Four. They waited until all the jets had landed then they taxied in together to Sheltair. That looked reaL cool also. Everyone jumped into their cars and headed over to the Sheltair parking lot. As they were taxing in to their spots two helicopters Twinstar N614CL followed by Astar N646PT were hovering nearby then landed. Twinstar N406LH had landed earlier and though I didnt wait around they later departed as a "Flight of 3" and I guess they were shuttling the Red Arrow pilots to a reception, possibly in Staten Island.
    Though it was short and sweet it was very exciting to see our British allies. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) the reviews of the SI/Harbor
    flyby. Saw footage on the news of the Harbor flyby and that was quite nice.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

I skipped the festivities at FRG and took the ride to SI. Saw nikon50bigma but since I couldn't remember his name, I just watched him pass instead of screaming "Hey...You!" lol. Anyway, the show started off as a gentleman's airshow which left me longing for blue F/A-18's and quickly shifted into one of the most unforgettable demos I've ever seen. Some maneuvers happening even in very close proximity to departing EWR traffic. These guys put on one hell of a show. You guys at FRG missed out for sure. Now to get drunk and start editing!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i'm looking forward to seeing shots from today. i've spent the day at home cramming for a final, even went as far as taking the day off from both jobs.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Here's my selection for LSP. They're all just about the same though. Still quite an amazing backdrop for an amazing foreground.

"Cessna Four-Two Bravo, traffic is two o'clock, 1,500 feet, rocking wings. Call that you got 'em."

Here's the money shot.

-James

Flyboy 28, great backdrop and integrating the Statue of Liberty is great.

The roar couldn't match that of the Blue Angels, but the show certainly did. Again, no 70-200mm. The old one was returned since my dad bought a new 70-200mm with IS, which is still on a UPS truck somewhere.

At least this wasn't the 18-55mm kit lens. These were taken with a Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical.

Enjoy!

Show Opener

Spectators from Above! -- AA MD-83 included.

Some Turkey...in a tree! Right above our parked car. Wait, a turkey in a tree?

Hopefully, more to come soon!

Love your first and last shots James. LSP didn't even cross my mind, but it was obviously the place to be for "The Shot". Glad all who had the opportunity to get out there got to see what a great demo the Red Arrows put on. I got stuck with HAZMAT training today & tomorrow so I missed out. However, I was able to make my way to the roof of the bus depot and catch the demo from far away in Maspeth. It may have been miles away, but it seemed they didn't do a full show. Not complaining though because squeezing a midweek stopover in NYC on a 3 week tour overseas tour I'm was greatly appeciated by all. As always much RESPECT to the Reds!

Now Kenny where are those drunkin' pics?
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

The Blues may have the power, but the Reds have so much finesse. Certainly one of the most stunning visuals I have seen performed in the air.

Spent the day at the beach after using practically every mode of public transportation possible, hopefully I can catch the mystery departure tomorrow. Here are a few of my favorites from the day:

Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Just got home from a loooong day - caught the arrival at FRG, ran down to SI for the show, and back to FRG for some late night ramp work :) Will have photos posted later. I didn't know so many of us were going to be at SI - I met up with Phil Gengler and Matt (Nikon50Bigma) We were down at the water just to the right of the ICAP tent.

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Anyway, the show started off as a gentleman's airshow which left me longing for blue F/A-18's and quickly shifted into one of the most unforgettable demos I've ever seen.
    I kept thinking "This is nice, but if this is all there is, I sure wasted a trip out to SI". Then it was like they said "Enough of this crap, let's have some fun!" What an incredible show they put on - definitely worth the trip!

Well, I really enjoyed this show. Unlike the US teams, The Red Arrows take advantage of the increased number of aircraft. They fly in tight formations like the Blue Angels and they make good use of the colorful smoke. All in all, really excellent.

Of course my pictures don't do the event justice as I never find it easy to get good shots of these teams, but for what its worth, here are a few...

But first, right before the show, I was treated to a vintage Bell 47..

But onto the main event...

There were some nice diamond formations and others, reminiscent of the Snowbirds, but I didn't get around to looking at those yet.

All in all, not much traffic and not terribly crowded either...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

OK, so who am I kidding? Like I was really going to get any sleep knowing I had all these photos to look at... Here are a handful from today:

Coming up initial for Rwy 32. With 11 aircraft in the formation, they were half way to Queens by the time the last one made his break

Looks like rush hour on the LIE.

Nice shots Moose, Loving the tight crossover!!! SWEET!

It was nice to have yet another great adventure again with you :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Anyone else notice how much Photobucket compresses images?

Anyway, a couple more.

Great shots everyone, I really wanted to go to SI to see the show but opted to go to JFK in between my 2 stops at FRG for 2 charter flights. That and I didn't want to pay the state of NY an additional $10 bucks(thats insane!) to cross the Verazzano a second time in one day. I think I'll stick to the better side of the Hudson for the time being :lol: Here's a few of mine and thanks again Moose and Fred

This guy was either very bored or taking a little nap it seems in the back seat

Bill

DAMN....what awesome shots everyone! Being British by birth - it's a little swell in my chest to see them performing like that - last time I saw the Red Arrows was in Cape Town in 1994 - a LONG time ago! Wish they were coming down to South Florida!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Fred and I were out to catch their departure today. They left around 2:15pm under cloudy skies.

Crew chief preparing the jet for departure

The front office

Preflight briefing. Listening to tower when they left, it sounded like they were flying VFR up to Rhode Island!

Yeah, they kept it low on takeoff!