Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LGA Saturday 13-31 Runway Closure

LGA Saturday 13-31 Runway Closure

Just a heads up to everyone. The Port plans to close 13-31 from 6/14/08 at 0001L to 6/15/08 0600L. The winds on the TAF are 210 for tomorrow so we should be seeing 22 deperatures again.... Looks like another good day to go to Planeview Park, and it wont be so hot this time!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Re: LGA Saturday 13-31 Runway Closure

Ok, I am seriously thinking about heading out early to Planeview tomorrow if this works out. Anyone else up for this?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I'm going to make a strong effort to get out there in the morning.

Note: it will be cooler than last week, but not great, 88 with high humidity.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

AA 777, thanks for posting this as I was just about to, keep in mind folks, yes it will be hot, but that equals longer takeoff rolls, a real plus when shooting at Plaineview. Always subject to change but the only US Special Scheme's scheduled for tommorow is N744P the Piedmont Pacemaker departing to CLT at 1000, on US 1177.

Have fun folks.

LGA777

Jeez I wish I would have made it out there again "grrr"
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Spent some time at Planeview this morning, got out around 11am and met Andy. Hung around until around 12:30, got some decent departure shots, some good low, loud MadDog departures :D Will post a few shots later...

I got there around 1:30, stayed about an hour, past ideal Planeview time but still managed some decent head on shots which I'll share later.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

This Mad Dog pushed back from the MAT a few minutes after I got there, sat on the taxiway for about 10 minutes, taxied to the end of runway 4 and sat there for a about 10 minutes...made the turn toward 4...I figured she was just taxiing to the central terminal or something....nope. She taxied onto 4...and took off! I had never seen that before, any ideas why? Fuel saving for Boston run?

CO 738 got airborne in a reasonable amount of time, but then didn't actually climb until the very end of 22...extremely loud, seemed just a couple dozen feet above the trees.

That's about it for now.

This Mad Dog pushed back from the MAT a few minutes after I got there, sat on the taxiway for about 10 minutes, taxied to the end of runway 4 and sat there for a about 10 minutes...made the turn toward 4...I figured she was just taxiing to the central terminal or something....nope. She taxied onto 4...and took off! I had never seen that before, any ideas why? Fuel saving for Boston run?
    There were some problems yesterday with the winds. The tower was reading them out of the southwest (which would obviously favor 22 dpts) but the wind socks were all over the place. A couple of planes required 4 for deperature yesterday due to the winds - which the pilots said the wind socks showed winds of about 020 etc. The only planes this usually applies to are the MD80s and the 737 classics.

When they are departing on 22 and someone requests 4, there is an average wait of about an hour for the tracon to get a hole for a deperature right into the arrival path. It can sometimes be ugly, but the only way to get out of LGA.

There are also certain performance rules about different runways. For instance at LGA - for AA at least - once the temp goes over X degree (I think its 90) then you are not allowed to takeoff with any tailwind. The list goes on and on....
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    AGI & IGI

Are you sure that AA Maddog pushed back from the Marine Air Terminal? I thought the MAT was exclusively for Delta Shuttle...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

AA's Chicago service runs out of MAT, though I guess it's possible it was just using the apron on the MAT side of 4/22 for holding purposes and I just thought that it pushed back from MAT...not sure which equipment they use for ORD.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    AA's Chicago service runs out of MAT, though I guess it's possible it was just using the apron on the MAT side of 4/22 for holding purposes and I just thought that it pushed back from MAT...not sure which equipment they use for ORD.
    AA does not use the MAT for anything. The Super 80 that you saw pushed back from the normal D concourse and requested 4 for deperature due to the winds and the performance of the mad dog. He was just parked on Double Alpha short of Yankee until they knew they had a gap for him. All LGA-ORD flights right now are S80.

Happened a bunch of times as well today too...
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    AGI & IGI

Delta's ORD flight operate out of the MAT, using the E-Jets.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Oops.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

I've been at Planeview a couple of times when they were landing on 4, and someone has requested (and gotten) a 22 departure. It's never been entirely clear why it happens, but it really fouls things up :)