Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA Policy: Terrorists Can Fly Without ID If They Ask Nicely

TSA Policy: Terrorists Can Fly Without ID If They Ask Nicely

Ars Technica:
    TSA to let polite terrorists fly without ID

By Ryan Paul | Published: June 10, 2008 - 09:56PM CT

A new Transportation Security Agency (TSA) policy will block passengers from flying if they do not have proper ID, but only if they exhibit defiance. Passengers who merely forgot to bring ID will still be permitted to fly, but will be subjected to a physical screening and enhanced baggage screening.

"Passengers that willfully refuse to provide identification at security checkpoint will be denied access to the secure area of airports. This change will apply exclusively to individuals that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity," TSA said in a policy statement. "This new procedure will not affect passengers that may have misplaced, lost or otherwise do not have ID but are cooperative with officers."

Prior to enforcement of this policy, passengers without ID were still permitted to fly after undergoing the more invasive screening regardless of their attitude or their reason for not showing ID. [Full Article]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: TSA Policy: Terrorists Can Fly Without ID If They Ask Nicely

This is a dangerous policy and a dangerous article. What's the point of having the TSA iffin they'll let just anybody fly without id?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    This is a dangerous policy and a dangerous article. What's the point of having the TSA iffin they'll let just anybody fly without id?
    It's already the policy. People who don't have ID have to go through secondary screening, but they can still get through. Basically the change is that you just have to lie about not having your ID with you instead of telling them 'no'.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

It has been the policy all along. Just another journalist reading into something the wrong way and having to meet a deadline.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

seriously now, how sad is that. it's like rewarding people for being stupid. BRING YOUR ID!
    :evil:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Id doesn't mean anything anyways, unless its a passport. A fake can easily slip by a TSA agent without being noticed...

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Id doesn't mean anything anyways, unless its a passport. A fake can easily slip by a TSA agent without being noticed...
    Exactly...this whole ID thing is more security theater than actual security. Any moderately intelligent terrorist would show ID, quite possibly a real one, if he or she intended to cause harm on a plane or inside an airport.

So how does your senile grandma that left her ID at home, with no ID to prove that she is actually holding her ticket get on the aircraft...simple the airline marks her tkt as a Special selectee(SSSS) and she gets the whole 9 yards at the TSA gate...thats how its worked from then till now. This is just a revision,an amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam

Ah, another uneducated comment...

You put up the IDs and I'll get the officers to look through them and tell you which is fake. By the way if you are going to now quote a poster from flyertalk.com (or flyerwhine as I call it) who claims to have gone through with a fake ID they are full of BS.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Informant
    So how does your senile grandma that left her ID at home, with no ID to prove that she is actually holding her ticket get on the aircraft...simple the airline marks her tkt as a Special selectee(SSSS) and she gets the whole 9 yards at the TSA gate...thats how its worked from then till now. This is just a revision,an amendment.

A lot of seniors get designated as selectees because they buy one way tickets not knowing if or when they may return.

There are circumstances where the TA can de-select a passenger but most don't bother to take the time.
    Ronald Reagan

And just for all of our airline employees out there, if you present a valid ID you cannot be made a selectee, no airline employee can, from bag handler to chief pilot.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway

A lot of seniors get designated as selectees because they buy one way tickets not knowing if or when they may return.

Back when I worked for the Long Island Railroad I sold tickets at all teh branch stations and sometimes Penn Station.

I never felt quite right when a senoir asked me for a ONE way ticket to Pinelawn station. Still gets me to this day....

And just for all of our airline employees out there, if you present a valid ID you cannot be made a selectee, no airline employee can, from bag handler to chief pilot.
    That sounds a bit unsettling. Wonder how true that is.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Really? Interesting, a co-worker and I were flying to LAX last January and they did secondary screening on him even though he had his SIDA badge in clear view. I think the screener said his sweatshirt looked bulky - but he's just a bit chunky If you can get post some official place where I can read that - I'll definitely bring it up next time.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by PHL Approach
    Really? Interesting, a co-worker and I were flying to LAX last January and they did secondary screening on him even though he had his SIDA badge in clear view. I think the screener said his sweatshirt looked bulky - but he's just a bit chunky If you can get post some official place where I can read that - I'll definitely bring it up next time.

Well, perhaps Informant is a bit misinformed? I figured EMSHighway might clarify at some point. :)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by PHL Approach
    don't forget, a SIDA means nothing when you're flying. you'd need the actual airline ID card. a SIDA badge is only valid when you're working and on the area of the airport where you have business. you're not supposed to drive over to AAL to visit the tin kitchen...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.