Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truly Historic!

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Truly Historic!

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    I'm not sure I can agree with that. What disturbs me is that the liberal media and the general public would prefer to believe the words of our enemies and put a politically correct spin on it to fry our own nation not only in our own eyes, but abroad. That's just what they did to Reagan, and now widely he's recognized as one of the greats. If the word of evidence of WMD's came out, mum would be the word. Face it, if it was a democrat in office under the exact same circumstances, using the exact same measures, most of us would still be pissing and moaning. I think W decades from now will be mentioned in the same sentences as Reagan. Just my $.02.
    Bush is already being mentioned in the same sentences as Reagan. By the people who have an even more visceral reaction to Reagan than a lot of Republicans have towards Hillary Clinton. And Republican presidents have an inherent disadvantage when it comes to history remembering them, because history is probably the single most left-leaning academic discipline in existence.

I always take great interest in statements like yours about the liberal media, Kenny. Because I spend a lot of time hearing about how the liberal media needs to grow some balls and stop bowing to pressure from the Bush administration to paint an overly rosy picture of the situation in Iraq.

But both sides are wrong. The people who say the liberal media needs to grow some balls were right about four years ago, but continuing to repeat it just makes them look like ignorant Bush-bashers. And the people who say the liberal media is tarnishing our image abroad need to look at the sequence of events...our actions in Iraq were deplored worldwide long before the liberal media stopped kowtowing to the Bush administration.

I'm not convinced there's such a thing as "if word of evidence of WMDs came out". Generally, the media (both liberal and conservative) knows a lot more than it can print...In hindsight, I don't get the impression that the media was taking any sort of risk when they questioned the existence of WMDs.

And there would never be a Democrat in office under the same circumstances. If a Democrat (or McCain) had been elected in 2000, we wouldn't be in Iraq at all.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    I think W decades from now will be mentioned in the same sentences as Reagan. Just my $.02.
    Let's bet a Brewhouse amber on that and re-assess the bet in 15 years.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Reagan is praised in many ways. I think that down the road, there will be little positive to be said about him. In fact, I think Bush will have lost his post-9/11 leadership that he was at first applauded for....I think that role will leave Rudy remembered first.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

And Reagan was praised rightfully so. One can argue his politics, but he was at the least an honorable man and did great things for world affairs. He was looked up to by many heads of state.

Bush? Don't even get me started. I just have consistently found that he is dishonorable and not in the same class as W.

I am usually reserved in my political opinions but beyond politics comes intergrity, honor and the good of your constituents. This man cares not for his constituents but for his pride and that alone.

And I knew he would find any way he could to get back into the middle East and Iraq, guns ablaze, to pick up where dad left off.

And where are we now?
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I think W and his father, in regards to Iraq, were very different. Desert Storm was a massive multinational (26 nations if I recall) defending a country that Iraq invaded. We STOPPED before Baghdad, because that was beyond our goal. We did exactly what we needed to do.

As a PERSON, I love W. I like his sense of humor, his mannerisms, and I think he means well. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out the way he had hoped.

Mario, I would HIGHLY recommend reading "Bush At War". Great insight into W's thoughts and actions during and after 9/11, written by a left-leaning author.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Mario, I would HIGHLY recommend reading "Bush At War". Great insight into W's thoughts and actions during and after 9/11, written by a left-leaning author.
    I'm about 1/4 of the way through that book - interesting doesn't begin to describe it. I found it especially insightful to see that as early as Sept. 12, 2001, Bush and his advisers were already discussing how they could use the attacks as a way to go after Iraq.

Recently I read some statements by a member of Papa Bush's team (the name escapes me at the moment) He said something to the effect that all those people who complained that they should have invaded Iraq and "finished the job" in 1991 are strangely silent now

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    I'm about 1/4 of the way through that book - interesting doesn't begin to describe it. I found it especially insightful to see that as early as Sept. 12, 2001, Bush and his advisers were already discussing how they could use the attacks as a way to go after Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    THanks Phil but I must pass. If I read what Moose said correctly, it confirms my thoughts. Somehow I knew, prior to W's election, he'd find a way to go back to Iraq. Just an instinct that proved right.

Thinking of the Bushes, it makes me wonder how the world might look today if a couple of European oil companies had not been cross drilling Iraqi oil from across the Kuwaiti border and then if Bush's US Ambassador to Iraq had not taken a de facto "we have no position" on Iraqi/Kuwait disputes when queried by Sadam's Regime prior to invading Kuwait.... what would it be like now? No 1st Gulf War? No abundance of US Air Bases in Saudi Arabia? Possibly (maybe) no 911?

And Iraq intact to keep Iran worrying about them?

Would the dollar be any better? Oil prices any lower with Iraqi oil pumping at normal capacity? The Iranian-Chavez. Iranian-Syrian alliances weaker...

Hindsight ought to be perfect..but yeah, those Bushes... Just a Great job....

Of course Pakistani nuke know-how would be proliferating unchecked, and who knows what sick misdeeds the Taliban would be up to by now....

T
    "Keep 'em Flying"