Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Caravelle Flies Again

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

A Caravelle Flies Again

figures, she'd be based at VNY... simply beautiful!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6254888
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: A Caravelle Flies Again

What's the significance of Caravelles with Van Nuys?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

That aircraft has been based at VNY for years in non flying but towable status. I don't think it has been made flyable. and based on VNY's proxeminity to Hollywood that great new paint job is/was probably for a Movie or TV shoot. Irreguardless, an amazing paint scheme, probably the funkiest ever on a Caravelle !

Cheers

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    That aircraft has been based at VNY for years in non flying but towable status. I don't think it has been made flyable. and based on VNY's proxeminity to Hollywood that great new paint job is/was probably for a Movie or TV shoot.
    DING, DING, DING! Ron wins a prize:

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/04/wong ... _to_ta.php

April 13, 2008 8:45 PM - Lifetime, touting a new programming strategy that includes its acquisition of “Project Runway,” is going airborne with a campaign featuring an airliner.

The women’s cable network has taken an out-of service Caravelle jet and wrapped it in bold colors to show how the network provides an “escape” for its viewers. The plane will appear in promos and interstitial spots and will travel the country with personalities from Lifetime shows. The campaign, shown to ad buyers in Los Angeles last week and to be unveiled to the press at Lifetime’s upfront press briefing today, is part of an effort to reshape the image of the cable network as it rolls out new flavors of content under CEO Andrea Wong.

Network research found that many women in mid-America look up the price of plane ticket to see how much a vacation would cost, even when they don’t really plan to travel. “This plan represents a fantasy escape,” Mr. Goldstein said. “Lifetime has been in your living room, but now we’re going to take it to you.”

New spots featuring the plane, named “The Flying Tigress,” will start to appear on the network in May. Lifetime is using the theme “Take off with us” in its upfront presentations, but the network won’t have an on-air slogan. (Staffers who use clichés like “take off” or “get on board” around the office have to put a quarter in a jar.)

The plane will evolve into a more integral part of the network’s on-air look later in the year, appearing as part of the set when stars and celebrities host prime-time nights on Lifetime or themed afternoons on Lifetime Movie Network. “The first thing we noticed [about Lifetime] was there was no one speaking to the audience directly,” Mr. Goldstein said. “It was packaged shows and movies.” The plane can become a crossroads, or focal point, where the networks personalities can logically meet, he said.

At Van Nuys Airport in California, the plane will serve as a backdrop for network photo shoots. It will also show up in other markets to generate excitement for network content.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    That aircraft has been based at VNY for years in non flying but towable status. I don't think it has been made flyable. and based on VNY's proxeminity to Hollywood that great new paint job is/was probably for a Movie or TV shoot. Irreguardless, an amazing paint scheme, probably the funkiest ever on a Caravelle !
    i honestly didn't know that the airplane has been at VNY for so long, though i can see it. they've got one of everything at that airport. wish someone would restore her!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

So is it going to fly or not? That article implies either.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The plane will appear in promos and interstitial spots and will travel the country with personalities from Lifetime shows.
    I think that means yes, but who knows!
    "lol retart"

"interstitial" is a form of Web based advertising.

"It will show up in other markets...." I am afraid they mean other media and marketing contexts....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'm wondering if there will be any attempt to fly this aircraft. Why go to all that expense? What do you use for spares when you have a mechanical? The airworthiness certificate per the FAA records is dated 1976, and there is a note that the aircraft's status may not be suitable for use. I just checked it.
    Paint a large unworthy aircraft instead of tying up one that is currently flying, take all the photos and videos you want and use computer graphics to show it in flight.
    Then lease/hire a smaller plane (bizjet) as needed with limited graphics (MUCH cheaper) to take your staff to different places.
    "Where's the big painted airplane?" They can use numerous excuses, such as the plane is too big to use for this trip, the plane is currently being serviced, the plane is being used for something else, etc.etc. Advertising and marketing rules, smoke and mirrors. In the Caravelle's case, smoke and noise.
    BUT, it sure would be nice to see it fly again!! If you've ever heard a Caravelle takeoff or land, you know it just might get banned from some airports for noise and smoke pollution! Has anyone seen this aircraft flying lately? :?
    "I used to be a genius, but I found out it was a lot less work being a redneck"