Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port OKs $20 Million Study for JFK Delta Terminal Rebuild

Port OKs $20 Million Study for JFK Delta Terminal Rebuild

Crain's:
    Port Authority OKs study for JFK renovation

The Port Authority’s board authorized a plan to spend $20 million studying what could become a $3 billion renovation of Terminals 2 and 3, both occupied by Delta Air Lines.

May 22. 2008 2:21PM By: Hilary Potkewitz

Bloomberg News

Delta Air Lines and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on Thursday announced plans for the massive reconstruction of two terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport, a project that could cost more than $3 billion.

The Port Authority’s board authorized a plan to spend $20 million to study the redevelopment of Terminals 2 and 3, which are both occupied by Delta.

The study, slated for completion by the end of the year, is the first step in the building process. [Full Article]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Port OKs $20 Million Study for JFK Delta Terminal Rebuild

Woo hoo!!
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

This needs to be done, if Delta is at all serious of keeping JFK as a HUB they need the facilities to support their biz plan.

While it is definitely true that DL needs new facilities at JFK in order to effectively compete, it is hard to believe that anybody, DL or the PA, is willing to spend $3 billion in this economy. With the current state of the industry and the outlook projected both in the aviation industry, energy/fuel, and the overall economy, I just don't see it materializing...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

about time! last time i had to pick my mother up from there i was honestly saddenned by the appearance...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The PA can afford it, Delta cannot though.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    While it is definitely true that DL needs new facilities at JFK in order to effectively compete, it is hard to believe that anybody, DL or the PA, is willing to spend $3 billion in this economy. With the current state of the industry and the outlook projected both in the aviation industry, energy/fuel, and the overall economy, I just don't see it materializing...
    AA spent 1.3 billion to begin construction on T8 right after 9/11...the same could have been said back then. jetBlue is spending the same on T5. You have to spend money sometimes to make money. T2 and T3 cannot handle the flow of passengers Delta sends through there everyday. These are long term investments that will reduce operating costs and the initial investment more then likely will be amortized over a number of years.

It's my understanding that Delta had a $1.6 billion plan to do this in 2001, but scrapped it following 9/11 and their ensuing bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    PA can probably also afford more runways too, which is what we desperately need if we really want to compete in the long-run. SWF just doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    PA can probably also afford more runways too, which is what we desperately need if we really want to compete in the long-run. SWF just doesn't cut it.
    I think they would gladly pave over Jamaica and Flushing Bays if it were up to them. Unfortunately it's not. Fish have more eminent domain rights than people these days.

Matt, what are you talking about? There are no fish in Jamaica bay! lol
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Jamaica Bay is owned by the Feds via National Park. This includes a majority of the Rockaways on the north side. What NYS can do is say that the surrounding neighborhoods, Rosdale, Springfield Gardens, the Ozones, etc. are "blighted" and tht airport expansion would bring in more revenue. I remember at one point, about twenty years ago or so, the PANYNJ was interested in Aqueduct as additional cargo space. And like I said in another post, the PANYNJ can make a case of buying Rikers island, filling in the gap with a dock like structure and use Rikers as additional terminal and runway space.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    Jamaica Bay is owned by the Feds via National Park. This includes a majority of the Rockaways on the north side. What NYS can do is say that the surrounding neighborhoods, Rosdale, Springfield Gardens, the Ozones, etc. are "blighted" and tht airport expansion would bring in more revenue. I remember at one point, about twenty years ago or so, the PANYNJ was interested in Aqueduct as additional cargo space. And like I said in another post, the PANYNJ can make a case of buying Rikers island, filling in the gap with a dock like structure and use Rikers as additional terminal and runway space.
    The blighted argument might hold water in Jamaica, where they are looking to expand the AirTrain terminal area with hotels and what not, but I'm pretty sure the residents of the neighborhoods you mention would block any expansion pretty forcefully. Aqueduct would be a nice spot (I don't see the need for two tracks so close to each other), but NIMBYs would complain about the truck traffic. As for Rikers, we would need to find housing for the 30,000 inmates who live there, and jails are probably the only thing more despised by NIMBYs than airports. Environmentalists would not allow any filling in the bay anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    The blighted argument might hold water in Jamaica, where they are looking to expand the AirTrain terminal area with hotels and what not, but I'm pretty sure the residents of the neighborhoods you mention would block any expansion pretty forcefully. Aqueduct would be a nice spot (I don't see the need for two tracks so close to each other), but NIMBYs would complain about the truck traffic. As for Rikers, we would need to find housing for the 30,000 inmates who live there, and jails are probably the only thing more despised by NIMBYs than airports. Environmentalists would not allow any filling in the bay anyway.

Most of those arguments, except for the prisoner issue, were quashed or ignored for the Atlantic Yards project. You could always use Governor's Island, the south end of Roosevelt or one ofthe many islands scattered throuh out NYC waters to replace Riker's. Hell ain't nothing happening in the south Bronx.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    I think they would gladly pave over Jamaica and Flushing Bays if it were up to them. Unfortunately it's not. Fish have more eminent domain rights than people these days.
    Well they did, JFK was paved over marsh land just like brookville was.