Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port OKs $20 Million Study for JFK Delta Terminal Rebuild

Re: Port OKs $20 Million Study for JFK Delta Terminal Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    Most of those arguments, except for the prisoner issue, were quashed or ignored for the Atlantic Yards project.
    An airport has so many variables that affect people for miles and miles around that it can't be compared to any other type of construction project.
    You could always use Governor's Island.
    Too close to lower Manhattan.
    the south end of Roosevelt
    There's a bridge in the way, and the river isn't wide enough anyway. Remember Corey Lidle.
    Hell ain't nothing happening in the south Bronx.
    Too late, hipsters are flocking there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Well they did, JFK was paved over marsh land just like brookville was.
    That was almost 70 years ago, when Queens was mostly farmland, and we were worried about whether we would soon be speaking German and not about whether a family of snapping turtles might have to find a new place to live. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Yeah but that was back in the late '40's when it was a golf course and EPA didn't exist.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

As for Rikers, we would need to find housing for the 30,000 inmates who live there, and jails are probably the only thing more despised by NIMBYs than airports. Environmentalists would not allow any filling in the bay anyway.
    Actually, there are 13,500 inmates in the NYC Department of Corrections penal system. Probably about 11,000 of them are on Rikers. How would I know? I used to compile those statistics when I worked for them! Actually, when I was working for DOC, which was a while ago, the inmate population was about 14K, but I've heard it's gone down to about 13.5K.

You could always use Governor's Island, the south end of Roosevelt or one ofthe many islands scattered throuh out NYC waters to replace Riker's. Hell ain't nothing happening in the south Bronx.
    There are already two jail facilities in the South Bronx. One of them is closed and was actually built on an old Staten Island Ferry barge. Yes, it actually does rock with the waves.

Isn't Governor's Island a school now?

I was joking about Governor's Island. No one knows what to do with it. I'd sell it to Hugh Hefner or Larry Flynt myself. I guess nobody thinks much of turning the whole of Staten Island into a mega airport?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    I guess nobody thinks much of turning the whole of Staten Island into a mega airport?
    SI has some massive hills, natural ones plus the landfill. Might make for some nice Kai Tak-style approaches. :D
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9