Thread: Willie Randolph Blames Racism for Harsh Coverage, Apologizes

Willie Randolph Blames Racism for Harsh Coverage, Apologizes

I've been saddened to hear a lot of folks suggesting recently that Willie Randolph is getting a raw deal from the fans and media because he's black. When Willie himself said it in an interview Monday, I was shocked:
    "Is it racial?" Randolph asked in the column, written by The Record's Ian O'Connor. "Huh? It smells a little bit."

"I don't know how to put my finger on it, but I think there's something there," Randolph said in the column. He cited the example of former New York Jets coach Herman Edwards as a coach who was initially successful, but did not last long when the Jets started losing. He also noted the treatment of former New York Knicks coach and GM Isiah Thomas, saying "Isiah didn't do a great job, but they beat up Isiah pretty good. ... There's something weird about it."
    I hadn't been ready to see Willie get fired yet, but now I am. If you don't understand how New York fans and media behave, you don't belong here no matter what color you are. The bottom line is if your team isn't winning, the manager takes a lot of flack, and if you have a talented team that isn't winning, the manager takes even more flack. Mets fans are especially merciless against their own, more so than Yankees fans. Bobby Valentine was one of the the best managers in the team's history, yet we turned on him as soon as things even hinted at going south. Nevermind how we treated stinkers like Art Howe and Dallas Green.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Willie Randolph Blames Racism for Harsh Coverage, Apologizes

I'll preface this with I am a Mets fan. I agree with most of your points Matt, but, you have to say he has a point as well. The Yankees are in last place, and you havent seen anyone go after Joe Girardi yet. I may be wrong, here, but I'm just saying....

As for Isiah, he was a total, utter complete failure, and I dont even like basketball, but it doesn't a rocket scientist to see how bad he was.

I think Joe Girardi gets more leeway because he's brand new, he has some enormous shoes to fill and the Yanks have a history of coming back strong after slow starts over the past few years. Willie is in his third season, following up one of the most horrific collapses in the history of the sport while at the helm of arguably the most talented team in the league (which isn't saying a whole lot in the NL, but we're better than the friggin Phillies).
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Deep down everyone loves willie, the problem is he hasn't been winning enough in some peoples eyes. Hey, if were doing better then the yankees were in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I think Joe Girardi gets more leeway because he's brand new, he has some enormous shoes to fill and the Yanks have a history of coming back strong after slow starts over the past few years. Willie is in his third season, following up one of the most horrific collapses in the history of the sport while at the helm of arguably the most talented team in the league (which isn't saying a whole lot in the NL, but we're better than the friggin Phillies).
    The Yankees have also had more injuries compared to the Mets. I still have that taste in my mouth from last season so I'm royally pissed at Willie and the Mets' lack of heart for the game. There's enough problems with morale and the race comments with the latino players and now Willie's bringing up the race card...just win some damn games.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath