Thread: Thinking about the Coast Guard

Thinking about the Coast Guard

Next year I am starting my junior year of high school and that comes with the ever-lasting thought, college. I have always been passionate about aviation but at the same time I want the chance to help people. I thought about the Air Force but didn't really want to go to war, and then the Coast Guard idea popped up. I have been reading around and have decided that I want to be a helicopter pilot or someone that is a crewman in the flight line. The thought of boot camp has been one that has haunted me for a while and as I know many of you are in the armed services, what's it like? The one thing that I know the CG doesn't have is the obstacle course, which is another + for me seeing as how I am currently a semi-tall, scrawny kid. Comments? I just want to know if this is something that I should look further into.
    "lol retart"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Thinking about the Coast Guard

i'd definately go for it. what you need to understand is that the underlying theme of a job like that is your duty not only to your country and it's citizens but every and any human that may ever need your help. it'sa serious job, but it can also be one of the most rewarding things you do.

a word about boot camp. it's going to suck, there is no way around it. you will be pushed to your breaking point, but once you pass that you'll only look back at it and say that it made you a stronger person.

when it comes to deciding what you want to fly, well that's going to take some time and only you can make that decision. for me it was easy, i wanted to fly helicopters and that's all i care to do. there are a lot of opportunities and your first move ought to be to go to a recruiter and find out what it takes to be a PILOT in the USCG. only when you know what it takes to get those wings need you worry about what you're going to fly.

now, don't forget that the USCG is one of the US' armed services. while at this point in time they have not been called to combat that day may very well come and you need to be prepared for it. you may only be a coastie, but you are still an american serviceman.

if you want to talk more, feel free to pm or email me.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Basic Military Training for me, did suck. I did zero prep before I went, didn't run, didn't do pushups or anything. I made it, and gained alot of confidence in the process. You have to realize that the Military is the Military. It's not just flying around blue open skies all day. You're gonna go to places you don't want to be, and do things you may not want to do. You need to rethink your statement regarding deployment, if you're dead set against going then this may not be the path for you.

The coast guard is a good idea if you want to serve your country, but don't want to go to the frontlines to defend it. Although, the coast guard does alot more then you might think. Depending on where you are located, the coast guard can be an extremely dangerous job.

The plus is, they give you a very generous college stipend while only being in the guard reserves. Go see a recruiter, see if what he says interests you.

Well, that is the main reason I want to go in. More of the SAR part and I can deal with war. Nick, when I said that I didn't want to go to war, I meant actual front-line in the sandbox.
    "lol retart"

Front line status depends largely on your career field. I'm getting deployed, but I'll never be beyond the wire so to speak. My ass will stay safe on base with the rest of the equipment.

Ok. Because after the academy I was going to go into the aviation school there to, when I think about it, either fly helo's or HC-130's.
    "lol retart"

Some advice from an active duty Air Force officer about to head off to flight school....

To be a pilot in most of the services, you have to be an officer, or at the very minimum a Chief Warrant Officer (I believe for army helos only). To become an officer you have to have a college degree. One of the "great" things about the military, is that they do not care where you get your degree from - whether it be Bronx Community College or Harvard, all they want is for you to check the box. Being said, there are easy ways to get a commission and subsequently a pilot slot, and there are more difficult ways.

The easiest way to get a slot is to go to an Academy. But, it can be very tough getting into an Academy.

The way most people do it is to go to a 4-year college, and go through an ROTC program. Work hard, get a little bit of luck on your side, and you can line yourself up well to get a slot.

The toughest way is to get your degree, and then apply to for an Officer Training School (OTS) slot. Slots are more limited and the competition into OTS can be tough.

If you are looking for an alternative option (sounds dirty doesn't it) you can always do the college thing and then apply to a guard or reserve unit for a slot. Can be easier to get a slot, more relaxed environment, you fly a lot more for longer - benefits aren't as good though, you will stay put for your career and the job security is generally not as good as it is on the active side.

My biggest take away... Don't join the military for the sole purpose of becoming a pilot. Military flying standards are very high, and the medical standards even higher. You can be perfectly healthy, but have one minor medical condition, and be completely disqualified from flight school. Join first because you want to serve. That's what I did, and I just so "lucked" out into getting a pilot slot and the opportunity to go and try flying planes.

My advice - pursue a college degree, look for a good ROTC program, and decide after a year or two of college if the military is something you really want to get serious about...

On a more honest note, if you are hesitant to join a service because of a tough boot-camp or because you will have to go through an obstacle course - IMO a tough but minor thing - military flying might not be for you. Sure you can probably get a non-flying job and be fine and avoid the whole "nightmare". But the road to wings involves some real ****ty and very stressful experiences (flight school, survival training etc...) that will probably be much worse than boot camp, or any obstacle course. Bottom line - if you don't want to commit to something because you are scared of it, or because it may be hard - so to speak - you might want to reconsider joining an organization that puts a lot of stress on you and requires you to complete difficult things.

Also, my advice is to take whatever a recruiter tells you with a grain of salt, and don't let them make you any promises. From my personal experiences the military recruiters I've run into know very little about the whole pilot selection process - let alone commissioning process. The majority of them are enlisted members who worked regular jobs for several years, and took recruiting jobs as a special assignment generally for a period of no more than 3-4 years. Their area of expertise is on the enlisted side of the house, and their primary job is to recruit people to ENLIST in the service, and not head off to a commissioning program. While that job is essential, seeing as how the enlisted force is the backbone of most services and we need qualified and well educated individuals in it, it doesn't help a person looking to become an officer and/or pilot much.

I still remember an Army recruiter calling me while I was at the Academy. First off, he did not understand the concept of the Air Force Academy, and did not realize that there was a school like West Point but for the Air Force. To make matters worse - and probably because he did not understand the latter - he tried to convince me that if I left this "Academy" and enlisted in the Army, my chances of getting my college paid for and getting a helicopter slot were really good. Thanks, but no thanks...

I recommend you talk with a recruiter, see what they tell you, if they try and sell you on enlisting to get a pilot slot or you think they are blowing smoke up your ass, head to a ROTC unit and speak with one of their guys to try and get a different perspective.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions... I've done the whole process on the AF side of the house, and am somewhat familiar with the process on the Navy/CG side of the house.

So instead of applying to the academy where I can get a degree in Naval Engineering, find a college with an ROTC program? The CG doesn't have an ROTC program, but only a Reserve. For the CG Academy, when I get my degree, I have the option of going straight into the CG pilot academy.

To address the question that everyone has asked, I am not joining JUST to be a pilot, but to serve. I already am a firefighter and want to serve my country. It's not just to become a pilot. After thinking about it for a few days, boot camp sounds like it will suck, but for the reward that it brings, it's worth it.
    "lol retart"

I just did some research and came across the Blue 21 Flight Initiative. I can apply after I go through a 4 year college with a degree in engineering, aviation, or computer-technology. I may choose this and then go through Officer Candidate School. And if I don't get in, I will have a fall-back degree, preferably in Air Traffic Management(I have to ask if that is a qualifying degree).
    "lol retart"

Quote Originally Posted by stuart schechter
    So instead of applying to the academy where I can get a degree in Naval Engineering, find a college with an ROTC program? The CG doesn't have an ROTC program, but only a Reserve. For the CG Academy, when I get my degree, I have the option of going straight into the CG pilot academy.
    The CG Academy isn't a walk in the park to get into. I believe their admission standards are pretty high.

If you are ready for four tough years then go for it! I can tell you that two months in boot camp is probably a million times easier than four years at the CGA. We had an exchange cadet from the CGA in my squadron at the AFA and they go through some pretty rigorous training, especially in their first year.

One other thing, doesn't the coast guard go through flight school with the Navy down in Pensacola?

As I said before, medical standards are pretty high in each of the services and while you may be and feel perfectly healthy you may have one minor thing that will completely disqualify you from flying.

If the CG/military is something you're not 100% sure you want to do, pursue a ROTC program - even if it's not in the CG.

Good luck on whatever you go with...

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

It's not just to become a pilot. After thinking about it for a few days, boot camp sounds like it will suck, but for the reward that it brings, it's worth it.
    there's the right attitude. i personally don't know anything about the coast guard. do you have to be an officer to fly? to they even have warrant officers? don't foget, however you choose to do it you will face high competition and it will be a lot of hard work. you said it yourself though, the rewards are worth it...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    It's not just to become a pilot. After thinking about it for a few days, boot camp sounds like it will suck, but for the reward that it brings, it's worth it.
    there's the right attitude. i personally don't know anything about the coast guard. do you have to be an officer to fly? to they even have warrant officers? don't foget, however you choose to do it you will face high competition and it will be a lot of hard work. you said it yourself though, the rewards are worth it...
    The CG has warrant officers (I believe they do not have CWO-1's though, all warrant officers start as CWO2), but I don't think they fly.

The Army and now Navy are the only branches IIRC that have CWOs that fly.

The CWO program is designed for more senior enlisted members (i.e. E-5 and above), which means that to even be accepted into a flying billet in the Army or Navy as a CWO you will have to work a regular enlisted job for at least 5-10 years first.

Like I said above, military flight training is very tough. You will have to be 100% dedicated to it and have to have the right mentality to succeed. A "I don't want to do that because it's hard or I'm scared" mentality will not get you far...

You still have time to figure a lot of this stuff out man... Like I said before, if I were you, and hesitant about the whole military thing, I'd apply to a college with a ROTC program and join it. That way, if you seem to like what you're doing in ROTC and you see what future you may one day have, you can set yourself up for a commission in one of the branches of service. One the other hand, if you aren't really like the military thing and can't see yourself doing something like that for at least 10-11 years after graduation (which is what the pilot commitment is) you are at least set up to end up a college grad