Thread: Interested in hosting the liveatc lga feed?

Interested in hosting the liveatc lga feed?

Someone brought up the fact that the lga feed doesnt come in clear at all and that they couldnt make anything out. Thats because its hosted from my office, which is right next to jfk. Since I am quite a ways from lga, the hundreds of houses and buildings in between us impede my signal. If anyone would be interested in hosting a lga feed and is close to the airport (within 10 miles), they would be able to receive free equipment for the setup and all the help they need to set everything up.

The liveatc staff has been looking for a lga feeder who is close to the airport for quite a while, and I figured I would bring it up to you folks. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Re: Interested in hosting the liveatc lga feed?

Yup, we would really appreciate anything anyone can offer that's closer to the airport.

Thanks,
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

I might be interested. How much bandwidth does it use and how big is the antenna? I am less than 2 miles from LGA tower as the crow flies.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I might be interested. How much bandwidth does it use and how big is the antenna? I am less than 2 miles from LGA tower as the crow flies.
    ~16 kbps. Depends on the type of antenna. Ultimately, you want to have it as high as possible, so with a copper J-pole on a 3 or 4 foot mast, you're probably looking at about 10 feet. The J-pole itself is ~7 feet. You can always use a smaller external antenna like a diamond discone. With your close proximity to the airport, it may work just as well and will be less obtrusive.

If you're still interested, send us an e-mail through the contact us form on liveatc.net. We'll get back to your shortly.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

The bandwidth isn't noticeable whatsoever, and the program itself doesn't need maintenance. You might want to get a jpole as Jason suggested, theyre easy to make and you could buy one online for about $20. The liveatc staff might even be willing to hook you up with an antenna, but I'm not sure.

I use a Jpole for the JFK feeds, and its mounted on my chimney with some of those radioshack fasteners. That might be your best bet.

If it seems overwhelming, or if you just need some help I am in the area almost every day.

Does the antenna need an omnidirectional view of the sky? That might be a problem. I live on the first floor of a 3 family (which I don't own), so going up on the roof or putting a 10 foot pole out front aren't really possible. :|
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Not at all, check out my setup on the liveatc forums. The higher the better, but you aren't required to have line of sight into the airport.

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php ... 817.0.html

Does the antenna need an omnidirectional view of the sky? That might be a problem. I live on the first floor of a 3 family (which I don't own), so going up on the roof or putting a 10 foot pole out front aren't really possible. :|
    VHF is, by definition, line of sight, so it's certainly better to have as much as possible. That said, you can probably get away with a smaller discone or even a twin-lead J-pole being so close to LGA.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

My computer and internet is not reliable, otherwise I would volunteer it. Private house, roof access, close to LGA (just across Flushing Bay).
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I've been considering getting a scanner. Maybe I'll get one and set it up with a small antenna, and if it sounds good I'll just hook it up to my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    My computer and internet is not reliable, otherwise I would volunteer it. Private house, roof access, close to LGA (just across Flushing Bay).
    I cant help you with your internet, but if you commit to the feed the liveatc staff may be able to help you acquire a stream computer with little or no cost.

I've been considering getting a scanner. Maybe I'll get one and set it up with a small antenna, and if it sounds good I'll just hook it up to my computer.
    Again, you might be able to receive a scanner and antenna to use for the feed. If you are serious about starting a feed, email the guys at liveatc. Theres no cost to send the email :)

Okay, I shall.

I know that Matt and I are most certainly serious. Again, my internet reliability is my only issue.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I know that Matt and I are most certainly serious. Again, my internet reliability is my only issue.
    Let me guess, you have verizon dsl? :roll:

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Let me guess, you have verizon dsl? :roll:
    Hey! I have Verizon DSL and it's the best internet I've had since the days of college ethernet...