Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with this plane??

Re: What's wrong with this plane??

I have a friend who is a DC-10/MD-10 Captain for Fedex, I am e-mailing him the original photo and asking him about DC-10 takeoff flap settings ?
    Whats his name?

While waiting for that to be answered.....The DC10 is a heavy little plane but thanks to its very swept wing and wingbox location it like its little brother the DC9 can rotate with alot more ease than say a 47,57,67 or any of the airbus series aircraft. So with the flaps in this 5 degree position, it is still very easy to get a good climb, I personally think the reason for this has nothing to due with flap setting but timing and or VS restriction due to cargo in the back i.e horses. 5 degrees is the normal flap setting for takeoff however you can also go up to flaps 15, however some comapnies have modified their frames flap setting by decreasing the angle of the flaps for better climb performance. This was found to help the 727's that had to climb out of high density altitude fields if i remember correctly only a handful of DC10's actually went through the conversion, didn't really help the climb profile at all as it was already pretty decent for a widebody aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    It’s the flaps not the gear. The gear is not in transition, the angle makes the mains look like they were going up but they are down. The flap setting is very minimal...not sure why but looked very risky to me.
    If you look very closely, you can see the left-hand main gear door starting to open for the gear to come up (you can see it protruding slightly on the underbelly section between the center and left strut). The struts are also not parallel to each other, but bent inward slightly (as compared to the center strut). The gear is definitely in the first split-second or so of transition.

Greets,
    -Omar S.

Check out her flaps while departing Quito:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6240859
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9