Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McGuire Show: May 31 -June1

Re: McGuire Show: May 31 -June1

I plan on being there Sunday. Hopefully.

Hope to meet and see some of you guys down there.
    Sunday is a go for me!
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Looks like I'll be heading down on Sunday as well. PM me for cell number if you are so inclined.

I'll also be down there on Sunday. Hopefully we'll have good weather! Let me know if you want to try to meet up.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I'm heading down tomorrow. Moose, I have your number from a while back when I was going to meet up with you at JFK. I'll probably call looking for someone to shoot with.

Got home from McGuire a short time ago - a great day! Got to the main gate around 8:45, and had no problem with traffic - there were a lot of cars, but we moved right on in. Good selection of performers - F-15E, F-16, F/A-18 demos, USAF Heritage Flight (P-51, F-15 & F-16) Navy's copy of Heritage Flight (F4U Corsair & F-18). A really outstanding performance by the C-17. It's amazing what they can do with such a large aircraft. The day was capped off with a great job by the Thunderbirds, despite some building clouds.

Got inside a bunch of aircraft - 2 KC-135s, KC-10, E-3 (first time I've seen an AWACS that close). NAA didn't send a jet, but there was an ATI DC-8 on hand. We waited until about 5:45 (1 /12 hours after the T-Birds finished) and it took about 30 minutes to get off base, and another 30-40 minutes to the NJ Turnpike.

Hung out with Bill S (njgtr82) for most of the afternoon demos, and bumped into Pat (Nikon50Bigma) before we left. I also saw Phil Gengler inside the KC-135E, but didn't get to say hello - I was talking to the Boom Operator, and I saw Phil disappear into the boom pod (never to be seen again!)

All in all a great day - lots of neat airplanes, lots of afterburners :!: and nice weather as well. Ended up with about 1,400 shots, but I'm off to bed and will look at them in the morning.

Clark - great job by you and everyone working on the show!

I went! Great time. A lot of people, since the Sat show was a washout.
    ...."most guys dig narrow bodies with large bumps and round tails that have a floral fragrance. others dig wide bodies with large bumps and wide tails that have that Jet-A scent. Me? I dig planes..."

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Hung out with Bill S (njgtr82) for most of the afternoon demos, and bumped into Pat (Nikon50Bigma) before we left. I also saw Phil Gengler inside the KC-135E, but didn't get to say hello - I was talking to the Boom Operator, and I saw Phil disappear into the boom pod (never to be seen again!)
    I probably walked right by you without even noticing. I'm prone to do that sort of thing sometimes (read: a lot). Where did you end up watching the show from? My girlfriend and I staked out a spot along the barricades right in front of where the T-birds parked (just like last year).

All in all, I thought it was a great show, and my opinion is that it was better than Jones Beach show. Some day I'll get through the more than 2000 photos I ended up with.

Getting out was a real pain though. We got in the car at 5pm and didn't make it off the base until 6:20. Next year I definitely need to park off-base and get bussed in; did that last year and made it out in no time at all, although the crowd was smaller since both days were good weather-wise and it was Mother's Day.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by moose135

Clark - great job by you and everyone working on the show!
    Thanks man! I'm exhausted... Stayed on-base all weekend and didn't get much sleep...

But, it's all over... Tying up the loose ends and then washing my hands clean of it...

Saturday was a wash with the weather, but Sunday was great! Parking was definitely an issue, but could have been much worse. Definitely probably the hardest and most time-consuming planning job out of the whole event! Something we've got some good continuity for the next airshow team.

Too bad I didn't see any of you. I was in a golf cart in my flightsuit most of the day running around (if any of you saw me), and spent the rest of it up on the airboss' trailer watching the show!

All-in-all great lineup and with a good static list. Had some F-15 statics canx on us late Friday night. Would have liked to get a few more statics, but it's tough with all the operational missions going on, and especially when you are making units foot their lodging bill off-base at $93 a night.

Definitely one of the better McGuire shows in recent years. I personally learned a TON about the whole planning, budgeting and politics behind putting on a military airshow.

Glad to hear those of you who went enjoyed the show!

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics!