Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NIGHT UNDER THE STARS 2008

Re: NIGHT UNDER THE STARS 2008

I wish the airshow was as good as last years.. For the airshow planning this year its an absolute joke.. barely moving NFI, AAM is doing there own thing, Skytypers are obviously on the other end of the field.. pretty much just keeping the brickline (behind the hangar) open for the stunt planes coming in.. from what i heard only the blue's and golden nights are the decent planes coming in.. nothing as spectacular as last years.. kinda dissapointed

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    NUTS for short is a registered trademarked name of Dan (Grummanfan) and requires a Donation to the Photographers for Better Equipment fund. Said donation must be equal to or more than the minimum of $10 per instance and no more than $1500.00 on any given day. (lookin out for ya Dan, thanks for the cool new Acronym)
    I like those terms & conditions :borat:
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Fred I sent you and email.
    Hope you'll let me attend.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Heard a rumor the A-10 Demo team is not coming...can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Heard a rumor the A-10 Demo team is not coming...can anyone confirm this?
    They aren't on the list of performers on the official air show site.
    In addition, the Spitfire that was scheduled to attend is out due to maintenance issues. Also, I heard from someone I know on the Canadian Lancaster crew - they had hoped to attend again this year, but are also experiencing maintenance issues that are keeping the aircraft grounded awaiting repairs. They hope to get down again next year.

The Air Combat Command demo team schedule has been out for a while, and the A-10 has never been listed for this years show. All we have is the F-22 and a heritage flight with a P-51.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

The event has a lot more people wanting in this year. I think we may all make it but it will be close. The idea of night under the stars is that the AAM give us incredible access to the aircraft out on the ramp. In return they ask that we FLOAT the images with their name on the Internet in return. If I need to start restricting the amount of people in the future, it will start with people that did not have shots show up in the mainstream. No matter if it is only your website, or Jetphotos, or Airliners, or local news, or magazine.... it is better than not having any picture online or in print if we need to cut people next year. Many of you do incredible work, I am trying to keep the partnership going as it is wonderful on both sides and is fun.
    (and I get to go this year!!! but I am not counting Moose and Myself...Shhhh)

The one thing I have always known about airshows is, every plan will change. The Spitfire had its tail end sent to Europe for a little TLC. The F-22 has been discussed and everything is up in the air. But the other thing I always knew about the airshow is that I AM NEVER DISSAPOINTED! I can not wait to see you guys soon!!! Emails should be sent by tomorrow evening.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I posted a thread in the "Events" forum regarding dinner if anyone wants to get together before hand.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12067

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I posted a thread in the "Events" forum regarding dinner if anyone wants to get together before hand.

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12067
    It sounds great but I can not make it as usual. I am shooting an event before night at the stars so I will be at the airport frpm 9:30am to midnight...... sorry
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    The Air Combat Command demo team schedule has been out for a while, and the A-10 has never been listed for this years show. All we have is the F-22 and a heritage flight with a P-51.
    I guess I just got spoiled seeing them the last 3 years, and took it for granted that they would be there. I looked at the website and the F-86 Super Sabre wont be there either. Such a shame, going to miss them. In fact, it looks like the only jet's are the F22 and the Blue's.

What was the most use focal length by most of you last year??
    I will have my 10-22mm mounted on one body, and I'm thinking 28-105mm on the other body....

Also, looking at some of the pictures from last year, did anyone bring ladders or crates to get a higher perspective?

Lovin the shots, and can't wait to snap my own!

See you all Saturday.
    73 - Phil / w2lie
    http://www.w2lie.net
    Long Island Live Scanner Feeds and Forums (Air Show Scanner feed is on the "Special" Stream!)

I did most of my shots with a 10-22, with the 24-70 making the occasional appearance. It'll probably be much the same this year.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Smallest lens I have is a 28-80mm. Will that be small enough or should I look to pick up something smaller and wider?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Smallest lens I have is a 28-80mm. Will that be small enough or should I look to pick up something smaller and wider?
    I made do with a 28-75mm last year, so you should be okay. You'll just spend a lot of the night at the small end.

This year I have a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 as well as the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 so I'll be looking to do some different angles this year.

Mostly, I used the Canon kit lens, 18-55mm last year.