Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing Down Saves Gas!

Slowing Down Saves Gas!

So I've been experimenting with driving slower the last three weeks. Infact my car hasn't been over 70 since I started and I have to say I'm saving allot of gas. Before I changed my driving habits I would get about 8 days or less out of a tank but now I'm getting around 12 days to tank or 430 miles to a tank and about 28.4 MPG around town. Last time I filled up was last Friday and even with a 100 mile r/t drive out East last week today I'm only at half a tank where in the past I'd be at a quarter of a tank.

So yes I'm now the annoying person who doesn't go over 65 but with $4.00 a gallon gas...I could give a rat’s ass about the person behind me.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Slowing Down Saves Gas!

i've been trying to stick to doing 55mph as much as possible, rarely go above 60 in fact. it does stretch my mileage out a bit. it doesn't save huge amounts of money, but it definately helps.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Time is money!
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

How much time do you really lose by driving 55mph instead of 65mph over the short distances where one can drive at such speeds?

(Easy for me to say...I don't own a car, and it's unsafe/impossible to go faster than about 50 mph on most of the roads I drive :) )

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    How much time do you really lose by driving 55mph instead of 65mph over the short distances where one can drive at such speeds?
    i drive from LGA to my house in brooklyn via the BQE, literally about 10 minutes on the road. it doesnt' save me any time if i were to speed, there are a few lights i get stuck at either way. as far as i'm concerned it doesn't pay to speed. (also don't want any more points on my license.)
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Time is money!
    Given my change in driving habits I arrive to my office 5 minutes later then when I use to drive 80 mph. For every mile you drive 65 or under it equates to 20 cents per gallon or more in savings... Every cent counts nowadays.

That's 10 minutes a day, almost an hour a week, 4 hours a month, 2 full days a year! :)
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Newsday has a story about a guy in Uniondale who started biking to his job...in Hauppauge! I would say slowing down is definitely a better alternative than putting your life on the line making 50 mile round trips on bike-unfriendly Long Island roads.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-li ... 1235.story

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

There are a lot of people in my (Midtown) office who bike in from Park Slope...that's probably more dangerous, although it's only 10 miles each way...damn liberal hippies :P

I think NYC drivers are probably more used to seeing/avoiding bikes on busy streets than LI'ers. I have a friend who bikes to midtown from Red Hook everyday, and another who sometimes bikes from the UES to Bayside...both pretty far, but not as far as frikkin Hauppauge.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    That's 10 minutes a day, almost an hour a week, 4 hours a month, 2 full days a year! :)
    And more money in my pocket at the end of the year....

Note this thread should only be responded to by ppl who OWN CARS, DRIVE, and PAY FOR GAS!! The rest of you HUSH! ;) lol

I spent this week driving slower to see how much of a difference is makes in gas...and I am surprised at how significant it is!

I would love to bike to work, but who wants to sit there all sweaty in the office?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I think it depends on how cars are geared. Those cars who can achieve lower RPM's at cruising speeds will usually do better at slightly higher speeds.

That said, the industry could easily make some changes which would increase fuel economy at ALL speeds--like increased use of hybrids, and more use of CVT's (continually variable transmissions).

Driving style has a lot to do with it as well. When I drive my wife's hybrid I usually get 4 mpg better than she does on average--I know how to get it to run on electric motors more than gas engine. I average between 25 and 26 mpg in average driving (SUV!), and it gets 27-28 on the highway. When in stop and go traffic, however, it is well above 30mpg because the engine only comes on to recharge the onboard batteries.

It was once said that the MOST efficient speed for fuel economy is 35 mph......maybe when I'm 80 but not now.....
    It's the fares, stupid

Also, accelerating slower than usual can help you save gas.

I have been trying this "slow" thing for a couple of months and have noticed a couple of things. Its true that you do get a few more mpg on a tank. Its also seems to be true, that if you stick to the same driving habits during the winter and summer, you will get more mileage during the winter. When it was really cold outside, I got 3-4 mpg on average then my last fill up this past week.

I'm going to try out aggressive driving over the next week, and see how much I actually save compared to granny driving :)

Hmmmh, I don't see the difference here.

I never go above 65, then come to think of it State of Illinois doesn't allow a speed limit of above 65.

I get gas when it gets to the half tank, not when it becomes empty so My gas buying is a lot more frequent.

I also travel about 20 min to work each day so that probably doesn't help either.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!