Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta: No More Ticket Jackets!

Delta: No More Ticket Jackets!

According to a story relayed through the Consumerist blog, Delta has discontinued distribution of ticket jackets to customers, citing cost cutting. Anyone know anything about this? Seems odd/silly.

http://consumerist.com/5008085/delta-ai ... et-jackets
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Delta: No More Ticket Jackets!

That sucks!! Although its harder and harder to find them at the kiosks anymore, and the last times I've checked in I haven't received a jacket unless I asked. The thing about the jackets is that they're a good place to put baggage checks as well as disclosure information to passengers and phone numbers. I don't see the other airlines following suit...
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I happily got a NW jacket without asking last week.
    nwa FOREVER!

I think they might eliminate tickets altogether, your just going to swipe your skymiles card. I just got a new one in the mail, and it has one of those credit card type barcode things on the back.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    I think they might eliminate tickets altogether, your just going to swipe your skymiles card. I just got a new one in the mail, and it has one of those credit card type barcode things on the back.
    that's an interesting concept, but in today's day and age i don't think it makes much sense to completely switch over to something like that. imagine the overhead of not only printing them in the first place but then reprinting and remailing them to all those haphazard pax who have holes in thier pockets. it's amazing how many people lose things in terminals...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    that's an interesting concept, but in today's day and age i don't think it makes much sense to completely switch over to something like that. imagine the overhead of not only printing them in the first place but then reprinting and remailing them to all those haphazard pax who have holes in thier pockets. it's amazing how many people lose things in terminals...
    Yeah, but remember... airlines are known for charging extra for everything. One day they could say "effective january 1, you must purchase a skymiles card for $2 a piece"

Not everyone is a Skymiles member so you can't eliminate tickets all together. However rather then using the heavy card stock they use now at the ticket counters I can see them switching to the thermal paper kind that jetBlue uses.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Not everyone is a Skymiles member so you can't eliminate tickets all together. However rather then using the heavy card stock they use now at the ticket counters I can see them switching to the thermal paper kind that jetBlue uses.
    Actually I've checked in at the BusinessElite check-in counter at JFK on my last 2 DL trips and both times my tickets were on the thermal-type paper as opposed to the traditional card stock. Costs being cut everywhere...
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

The jacket when I travel holds my luggage tags, tickets, and usually my ID, when it is in my hand. When I put the sleeve in my pocket, I'll put my ID in my pocket.
    "lol retart"

This is ridicules! I find the jacket very useful to hold everything you need in one sturdy place. Airline cost cutting is going too far. Soon you will need to enter a quarter to use an airplane lavatory.

The old AA MD80's could already do it! Just insert a quarter into the straight razor slot left from the old days!
    "lol retart"

If Delta needs to save costs I think this is the way to do it. They can either cut costs in materials and such or they could be low and take it from the employee's salaries like some other airlines have done. I have only flown Delta a couple of times but felt they were above most other carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Howell
    If Delta needs to save costs I think this is the way to do it. They can either cut costs in materials and such or they could be low and take it from the employee's salaries like some other airlines have done. I have only flown Delta a couple of times but felt they were above most other carriers.
    Delta has already reduced their employee's wages during the last Chapter 11 and went as low as dumping their pensions.

The airlines know they can't take anything more away from their people without risking people just leaving for jobs that pay the same and demand less.

[quote=T-Bird76]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jordan Howell":b90c2
    Delta has already reduced their employee's wages during the last Chapter 11 and went as low as dumping their pensions.

The airlines know they can't take anything more away from their people without risking people just leaving for jobs that pay the same and demand less.[/quote:b90c2]

I'm aware the employees took a pay cut during the ch. 11 restructuring. The employees have however regained a small percentage of it back. I recently read the non-union employees (everyone but the pilots) recieved a 3% wage increase. I took a look at the starting salaries at Delta and the other legacy carriers. Let's just say that IF I had the outragious idea to throw away my current career, go through years of training, and end up with a choice of airlines to fly at.......lets just say from a financial perspective my sights would be set to taking a job at Delta with a higher salary

It would be funny if they started selling these things they used to give for free