Thread: NY Senate expected to OK gas tax holiday

NY Senate expected to OK gas tax holiday

NY Senate expected to OK gas tax holiday

BY MELISSA MANSFIELD | [email protected]
    6:39 PM EDT, May 6, 2008

ALBANY - With gasoline prices nearing $4 a gallon, the Senate planned to pass a bill today that would suspend the state's gasoline taxes for the summer months. But the Republican-backed measure faces opposition in the Assembly and reservations in the governor's office.

The proposed legislation would abolish the 32-cent-per-gallon tax from Memorial Day through Labor Day. "Higher prices at the pump coupled with higher costs on everyday items like milk, bread and eggs are making it more difficult for middle-class families to make ends meet," said Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno (R-Brunswick).

Opponents say the three-month elimination of the tax would mean $500 million less for road and bridge construction. Presidential contenders Hillary Clinton and John McCain have called for a summer holiday from the 18-cent-per-gallon federal gas tax. Barack Obama opposes the idea. [Full Article]
    I'm angrier about this than Sharpton is about Sean Bell. I'm generally all for reducing taxes, but in this case the gas stations will simply keep that 32 cents, or at least some of it, because they can. People aren't going to stop buying gas. The state's transport infrastructure is in shambles...cutting $500 million from the budget is the complete opposite of what we should be doing. These idiots want to start taxing Amazon purchases and Indian cigarettes, which would be a drop in the bucket compared to throwing away half a billion for no good reason. I hope Paterson does the right thing if it reaches his desk.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: NY Senate expected to OK gas tax holiday

Matt I'm not sure I agree with you on this. For someone who spends 60 bucks every 10 days to fill my car up any savings if it is passed along to the consumer is a welcome break. Even with the taxes on gas now our roads, rails and bridges are falling apart. If we are going to pay the taxes then we dam well better get what we pay for. You do bring up a good point that the gas stations can keep the prices where they want but I'd hope some sort of requirement by the State would be put in place that the stations would have to lower their prices to reflect the savings.

Lets put aside all the reasons why the price of gas is so high...weak dollar, OPEC cutting back production, speculators....we know that. The fact is the price of fuel is driving down the economy and will be the single most reason for slow growth or a decline in growth and something needs to be done. We're being told to "wait it out." Wait it out???? Wait out what? Wait out more jobs being lost, food prices sky rocketing, and companies losing billions of dollars?

We aren't going to all switch over to a green lifestyle over night, in fact the majority of Middle America just can't afford it, and it’s not practical. Oil is the engine of our economy and lifestyle and it MUST be affordable. A reduction in both the Federal and State tax on gas would dramatically lower the price if passed along to the consumer and this is where I'm for the Gov't forcing the Oil Company’s to pass that savings along. A reduction in the price of fuel will spread over the entire economy helping to drive prices down in other areas as well.