Thread: "Miguel de Unamuno" Will be Written Off

"Miguel de Unamuno" Will be Written Off

We all remember the Iberia A340-600 that ran off the runway in Quito back in November and the ongoing debate over whether or not to write her off. Unfortunately it was recently decided that EC-JOH will be written off and will start to be scrapped in the very near future.

This is rather sad as EC-JOH was a relatively new A340-600 for Iberia.

[airliners91345[/airlinersMiguel during better times:

[airliners:6ab9d]1070317[/airliners:6ab9d]

Re: "Miguel de Unamuno" Will be Written Off

That's too bad, it was less than 2 years old when it crashed.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I had a feeling that JOH was going to be written off... It would have been too expensive to repair her.. Its very sad to see the second A340-600 get written off.. First it was Etihad A346 at the Airbus Factory, now Iberia A346.. Both brand new
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i expected this to happen. i don't know what kind of mx facilities they have in Quito, but i doubt that what's there is capable of rebuilding that airplane to airworthy condition. the damage was too extensive and the location too remote to make it ecomically feasable to repair her... sad.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

While this is sad, another factor is that if the aircraft was repaired enought to be ferried out Quito is not a very forgiving airport if something went wrong on departure. Both ends of the fairly short very high altitude runway have heavily populated area's and if the Airbus did not co-operate on her departure out of there and they had to put her down could have been real ugly, much, much worse than her last landing there.

While logistics would probably prevent this to bad they could not move the fairly intact fueselage somewhere closeby for use a Resturant or something similar.

Regards

LGA777