Thread: $55M plan would triple Republic Airport hangar capacity

$55M plan would triple Republic Airport hangar capacity

An aviation development company is proposing a $55 million project to build seven new hangars at Republic Airport -- tripling its capacity to house corporate jets -- in what would be the largest construction effort at the East Farmingdale facility since World War II...

...McShane said that two aging hangars, one built in 1927 and the other in the 1940s, would be knocked down under the proposal. One of those hangars houses the American Airpower Museum. McShane said a new facility for the museum will be built on airport grounds.
    :arrow: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...,3777847.story

I think I've heard this idea being talked about for quite some time, but this is the first article I have come across. Personally, I don't see how the AAM could be the same in a "new" home. Those original hangers give it soul.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Re: $55M plan would triple Republic Airport hangar capacity

ive actually been following this and talking to bill as more news comes in.. and the blueprints look really promising.. well be moving possibly to the breslo area which would give us so much more ramp space and like 8 hangars!! hopefully this goes thru

The Town of Babylon will be all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake. Its a great idea and one that will help the local economy tremendously but I wager Babylon fights it tooth and nail. Does part of the 55 million go to rebuilding New Highway? After yesterday's rainstorm more new craters have opened up.

More hangars = more jets = NIMBY meltdown = probably won't happen
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    I think I've heard this idea being talked about for quite some time, but this is the first article I have come across. Personally, I don't see how the AAM could be the same in a "new" home. Those original hangers give it soul.
    i originally heard about this a few years ago. the proposal back then would have the hangars built over the forrested area between the thresholds of rwys 1 and 14 in addition to rebuilding the airpower museum and dk aviation hangars. when i heard about this they would also be preserving the old tower and incorporating it into the new hangar.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Bring in the NIMBYs!

Newsday:
    Residents protest expansion at Republic Airport

BY CHAU LAM | [email protected]
    May 1, 2008

Some residents who came to Republic Airport yesterday to review a proposed $55-million construction project said the expansion at the East Farmingdale facility would undoubtedly increase noise pollution and air traffic, which they said have already reached intolerable levels.

Alissa Sue Taff, who has lived in West Hills for more than two decades, said about a month ago, four airplanes, one after the other, flew over her house at about 2:30 a.m.

"It was loud and the house shook," said Taff, who is president of the Civic Association of Sweet Hollow. "What's frightening is how low the planes were." [Full Article]
    I can't help but imagine this lady sounding like Sol Rosenberg when she talks..."and then he pushed me down the stairs and my SHOES fell off!"
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9