Thread: AA to Drop LGA-MSP in June

AA to Drop LGA-MSP in June

TwinCities.com:
    American cuts flights to LaGuardia
    By John Welbes
    [email protected]
    Article Last Updated: 04/25/2008 09:26:08 PM CDT

American Airlines will eliminate its three flights per day between MinneapolisSt. Paul and New York's LaGuardia Airport in June, the carrier said Friday.

While that volume of service made sense at one time, high fuel costs have changed that, Tim Smith, an American spokesman, told the Pioneer Press. Fort Worth, Texas-based American posted a $328 million first quarter loss last week as fuel costs rose 45 percent from the same period a year ago.

The airline began nonstop service to LaGuardia in September, creating a bit of a buzz. It was seen as a challenge to local powerhouse Northwest Airlines on its own turf. LaGuardia is the second most heavily traveled destination from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, behind Chicago's O'Hare, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. [Full Article]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: AA to Drop LGA-MSP in June

Was this service on the MD-80? I think it was, but refresh my memory.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Yes.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thank you.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

As much as I wanted to see these flights do well, it became apparent early on that it was only a matter of time that they got cut. At least they tried!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

MSP is a great town, lot of NYC transplants there (incl. my best friend from high school), but nonstop flying between our area and the Twin Cities is virtually an NW/CO monopoly, and through their partnership it's obvious there is no real price competition. Sorry this didn't work out for AA, but someone else should try getting in there, and before someone points it out, I mean someone other than Sun Country.