Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpton vows to 'close this city' after officer acquittals

Re: Sharpton vows to 'close this city' after officer acquittals

I agree with wunaladreamin posts. You don't yell cease fire hoping the perps will stop firing also. Shots are being fired and you react.

If you remember the Bronx case. What happen there was the suspect was told to stop, he turned with an item in his hand (wallet, holding it between his thump and finger that in could have looked like a gun) in a dark hallway, one of the officers trying to step back tripped off the stoop. His fellow officers thinking he was shot opened fire. Due to the small area the suspect didn't fall right to the ground so the officers didn't know if the shots were all theirs or the suspects.

In these seconds there is a terror and a fight or flight reaction. As long as there is movement you are going to fight.

In my years with EMS, I was shot at or within a shooting about five times. As Phil said it happens in seconds, you do what you have to do.

If anyone thinks these officers whether white or black, planned to go out and get into a shooting and turn the next several years of their lives in a nightmare then you are out of your mind.

This was supposed to be a simple prostitution sting which because of the actions of the perps went bad.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    You're going to keep pulling that trigger until you hear other shots stop.
    That is my point. The facts, as I understand them, imply that by the time Oliver was on his second magazine, all other shooting had stopped and he was the only one firing. At what and why, I don't get. Fog of war, but he should still be held accountable for it, I think. And I always side with the police.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Something funny (and I guess sad) happen yesterday. I was in Barnes and Nobles on Austin St waiting for my wife on the second floor. There was an IAB Det. doing a detail shift so I gave him a hello nod. Just at that time a male African American turned the corner making a comment "why they got to go play that song". At first I looked at him weirdly then realized the Muzak was playing "I fought the law and the law won". I tried not to but I busted out laughing in his face.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

LOL iffin he wasn't a perp, the music wouldn't bother him.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Clearly my opinion is going to prove rather unpopular in this thread, but principle dictates I speak up and take the heat. There is/was no excuse for this going down the way it did. Leave the race out of it. Race is just a straw man argument had the 3 guys been white I believe the same scene would have played out. We had 3 trigger happy cops who, as Phil already pointed out, fired, emptied, reloaded and fired again, at 3 UNARMED people. At the end of the day this is the only fact that counts. Not one weapon was drawn except by the trigger happy cops. Not one weapon was found that wasn't issued by the NYPD. Bottom line is simple, if there was no weapon out then keep your DAMN gun in the holster. As an experienced competative shooter who has had to use a firearm to defend life and home I can tell you quite emphatically that my gun stays well secured unless 2 things happen. The first, and most important, is that I am taking it out to use it, not to frighten, not to threaten, and not to impress, but to use it to defend my life. The second is that I am faced with a threat of immenent life threatening harm. In other words I see a weapon brandished, not I think someone has one, not I think I am being threatened, I see, physically see a weapon that is capable of taking my life. Unless BOTH of those criteria are satisfied my guns stay well secured, be that in my holster or in my gun safe at home. If with my roughly 25 years of firearms experience I can say only 1 time did I face both of these criteria being met and still I never emptied a clip, replaced it, and emptied it again how does a cop with 1/2 that experience justify his actions one cold November night? At the end of the day this is not a race issue, this is simply another example of a NY cop with a God complex thinking his life is more important than any one elses.

A cop's number one priority is to ensure he/she goes home safe at end of tour.
    Actually no, a cops number 1 priority is supposed to be that the citizens he/she is sworn to protect get home safe. Remember the "thin bue line"?
    Flight Schedule / flight sched·ule / (noun) - An entertaining work of fiction.

Spoken beautifully by someone who knows nothing about law enforcement. Carrying a gun as a civilian in NYC still makes you a civilian, and in most cases a perp. Carrying a gun in NYC as a cop makes you a target. We've been called to jobs at buildings only to find out the job was a hoax to draw us out so some savages can throw toilets, bricks, cans of paint, etc. off the rooftops at us. Every car-stop could be our last.
    3 UNARMED PEOPLE
    if there is no weapon then keep your DAMN gun in your holster
    They struck an officer with their car (an act of deadly force and a felony). The MOS had every right to take their DAMN guns out of their holster. The mope's car became a weapon. What would you have done, let them run you down? "Well they didn't shoot, so I let them run my partner down." Get off it guy. Nobody turns out from roll call with the mindset "Hey I'm gonna shoot me a mother****er." Keep in mind when you fired your piece, you were alone with a perp. ALONE. There were no other shots ringing out. There were no partners to look out for. Please stop drinking the Sharpton kool-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartass Flyboy
    Actually no, a cops number 1 priority is supposed to be that the citizens he/she is sworn to protect get home safe. Remember the "thin bue line"?
    Incorrect. Especially in NYC where every move you make as an MOS is wrong. The job is just a pension, nothing more. Put on a uniform, work a few foot posts, and then tell me about police work.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

I agree with wunala there. I think the shooting was justified, but I think the Oliver went a bit nuts.

Many, or most, people have the wrong perception of police, and don't understand what it's like to be a cop for $25k.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Again, golf clap to wunaladreamin. The vehicle became the weapon. The person reaching under the seat became the danger.

The "don't shoot until shot at" theory gets you killed. Was it perceived that Oliver went overboard by reloading? Yes, but unless you are in that situation can you honestly say you wouldn't do the same?
    Ronald Reagan

From another forum, an open letter to the media regarding the case. Spot on I say.
    To Whom This May Concern,
    Your coverage of the Sean Bell incident from beginning to end has been absolutely horrible, irresponsible and criminal. Not only have you chosen to selectively cover bits and pieces in the case, but you have also fanned the flames of racial tensions that are undeniably alive in the City, partially created by your irresponsible and sensational reporting.
    Sean Bell and his friends were not saints as you make them out to be. They were the scourge of the City. Responsible for countless deaths, violence, and needless addictions against their own people. Their night on the town was not an innocent get together of friends to reminisce on the old times before he made his final commitment to his long time girlfriend. This particular night out was a continuation of his past nights out of fights, drug use, and talk of gunplay. You conveniently forget to mention the past convictions of gun possession, controlled substance sales and the fact that Trent Benefield couldn't even stay out of trouble after this incident, beating his pregnant girlfriend bloody last year.
    On the other hand, you choose to make villains out of 3 men who have sworn to protect the City and did so without incident or loss to life until that fateful night. You choose to ignore the fact that none of the Cops involved in the shooting were white, including Det. Oliver who is of Lebanese decent, creating innuendo's that because his appearance is white, he's is so in fact white and that racism was in play.
    Sean Bell was not unarmed that night. He was armed and he used his weapon of choice, a 3200lb Nissan Altima that he struck down a Police Officer with and hit an unmarked Police Van twice. This criminal was not a stranger to the criminal justice system and I have no doubt in my mind that he had his gut feeling that they were Cops that he was about to run over, just as we had a gut feeling that he was up to no good.
    This was not a tragedy. You can sugarcoat this all you want, but Sean Bells lifestyle, his choices in life, and his choices that night sealed his fate. This is not a tragedy nor is this a unique story. If you choose to live a life of crime, most likely you will die a violent death. The only tragedy here is what 3 detectives had to go through for politcal reaons and yet another african american child is without a father due to his choices in life. This is the true tragedy.

As far as the prosecution is concerned, you can try and blame them all you want. The prosecution was poor because there was no case to begin with. You had 3 men politically indicted without regard of the Penal Law in which they clearly did not violate. You had witnesses on the stand that changed their story 3, 4 , and 5 times. You had witness that told stories that contained physical impossibilities. You had witnesses that would do anything it takes to take a cop down with them. You had witnesses that had been paid off by Al Sharpton or given back door deals on pending cases by the DA's office to "cooperate" and testify. You also had witnesses on the stand that got testy and showed their propensity for violent outbursts, even in protected environment such as a Court Room. No, the Judge did not have a hard time reflecting on this case and coming down with a verdict. That's because there was no case.
    So if I can build a time machine and tell my brothers what will happen if they decide to take focus of their case and try to save a possible homicide from happening in front of their eyes, what would the headlines say the next day? I'll tell you:
    "Past criminal kills family of 4 in drunken accident after Cops ignore man going to his car in a drunken stuper, focusing on sting operation instead"
    or
    "Cops sitting inside club, doing sting operation, ignore talk of gunplay as violence erupts outside , 3 dead, 1 wounded....Where were the Police?"
    Either way in the eyes of the media, we cannot win. Maybe you should look in the mirror and you will see part of the recruitment and retention problem the NYPD has. Next time you are the victim of a crime, why don't you call Guzman or Benefield for help because according to you, they are the Heros and we are the Villains.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Spoken beautifully by someone who knows nothing about law enforcement.
    I think that might be a bit of a strech, but I'll concede I've never worn a badge.

and in most cases a perp.
    Are you a cop? I ask not to spark an argument, but rather to point out something in that last sentance. It appears frm where I sit that is exactly the mentality I see all too often from cops. To be fair this is not limited to the NYPD.

Please stop drinking the Sharpton kool-aid.
    Not a roblem, personally I think Sharpton is f**king nuts and have thought so for over 20 years. The man is so far off the deep end that rational discourse is completely impossible with him. This incident being a perfect example. It's obvious I agree with him that the officers actions are/were unjustifiable yet because he wants to see racism he will blow this whole thing into another Rodney King. Even if you defend the officers actions and feel I am being unfair in my judgement of them I hope you'll agree with me that race was NOT a factor that night.

Incorrect. Especially in NYC where every move you make as an MOS is wrong. The job is just a pension, nothing more. Put on a uniform, work a few foot posts, and then tell me about police work.
    As I said I have never worn a badge, but suffice it to say I have been close enough to law enforcement to be aware of what the job entails as well having experienced it's, um, excesses. I have family both retired and on the job, outside of NYC though. Keep in mind also that those of us that have been fire fighters dealt very closely with the PD.

I agree with you in the fact that the events of that night had nothing to do with race, and I stand by my comment that most people in the confines of NYC are carrying illegally. I was not incinuating that included you, but you cannot deny that probability. Just take a stroll down the streets in any odd numbered command starting with the number 7. I will also defend till I'm blue in the face the actions of the three MOS that night. Ask any one of your family members OTJ or retired if they think a motor vehicle was used as a potentially deadly weapon that night, and ask them what they might have done. You already know my answer. Fact of the matter is the only cop the media, and a good portion of the city likes is a dead one. You'll crucify us when we act, and you'll crucify us when we don't, yet you'll love us when it's PBA card time of year. A little consistency would be nice. Until then, I guess we'll just agree to disagree and still have a smile over a beer. Stay safe.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Until then, I guess we'll just agree to disagree and still have a smile over a beer. Stay safe.
    MMMMM, Beeer. 8)

So who buys first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartass Flyboy
    So who buys first round.
    Well, you already know my pay scale so...LOL
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

So rumor has it the Fatman and his minions are preparing to storm the castle that is 1PP. The Palace Guard is currently at Defcon 4 and has doubled the troops guarding the gates. All uniformed personnel have been ordered to be at the ready and have full battle regalia in place and ready to go. The onslaught may take place as early as this evening. Hats and bats folks.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

So rumor has it the Fatman and his minions are preparing to storm the castle that is 1PP. The Palace Guard is currently at Defcon 4 and has doubled the troops guarding the gates. All uniformed personnel have been ordered to be at the ready and have full battle regalia in place and ready to go. The onslaught may take place as early as this evening. Hats and bats folks.
    And he claims to be a "minister"... :roll:

I don't get it.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath