Thread: IAD - 4/17/2008

IAD - 4/17/2008

Hi All,

Clay Lacy was in town with his toy (N737L). If you don't know who he is then you should go back to wikipedia and do your homework. He has a dream job that I would give up my left ball to have job like his :)
    Anyway, two EOS flights back to back from JFK to IAD, and some other goodies today.
    I was testing my new lens today. Those pictures are unedited (just removed few dust spots, croped and resized pictures). Any feedback on the picture's quality is very welcome.

Thanks,
    Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Re: IAD - 4/17/2008

Great shots! Nice to see a german Luftwaffe C-160 Transall (we only say to her "the trallala") far away from home.

Far away from home? I thought that IAD was her home :)
    But seriously, we have GAF Transalls at IAD 5 times a week, and add to that 3-4 A310s :)

Rafal
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Nice shots unedited. Looks like a good lens...What are you shooting with if I may ask.
    "lol retart"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

NIce catch!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I didn't know Clay Lacy was still alive. I thought he died in a accident involving stunt work for a movie a few years ago.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    Far away from home? I thought that IAD was her home :)
    But seriously, we have GAF Transalls at IAD 5 times a week, and add to that 3-4 A310s :)

Rafal
    In Hannover for example the Royal Air Force have several flights a week to Brize Norton, Cyprus and ofcourse to their abroad location (EID,BSR,KDH etc..) to support their trops or to change them. The reason for this is, around Hannover are based a huge number.

Do you know from and to where they are flying? I think the Luftwaffe trained her pilots in Goos Bay (low level training) and in Holloman (I'm not sure) where new pilots or students are trained first on T-38 and later on the exact fighter Phantom ( I still love this beauty!!) or Tornado. Are they supporting both locations via IAD or why are they visit IAD in such a regulary basis?

Quote Originally Posted by HLF_B737-8K5
    I think the Luftwaffe trained her pilots in Goos Bay (low level training) and in Holloman (I'm not sure) where new pilots or students are trained first on T-38 and later on the exact fighter Phantom ( I still love this beauty!!) or Tornado.
    They still use Holloman AFB for training on the Tornado. They no longer do F-4 training there.
    From Holloman's official site:
    http://www.holloman.af.mil/library/fact ... sp?id=4364
    The German Air Force has been training its aircrew members in the United States since 1958. This training took place at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., and then George Air Force Base, Calif., before moving to Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., in mid 1992.

The U.S. Air Force's 20th Fighter Squadron at Holloman trained German aircrews to fly the F-4F Phantom. This training was for pilots and weapon systems operators. In addition, the 20th conducted the Fighter Weapons Instructor Course and also trained the instructor pilots needed for this Foreign Military Sales program, both U.S. Air Force and German Air Force. The German government paid the full cost of this program. The 20th Fighter Squadron was inactivated on December 20, 2004.
    Also, some Luftwaffe pilots do complete Undergraduate Pilot Training at Sheppard AFB, TX - they are part of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program (ENJJPT) established at Sheppard in 1981. (http://www.sheppard.af.mil/library/fact ... sp?id=5168)

I don't know where do they fly out of IAD, but each September IAD is hosting charity for special olympics and Transalls are one of the atractions. You can go inside, get up close and personal with C-160s :)

Rafal

Neat catch on the Iberia A343..."Agustina de Aragon" delivered me to Madrid the day before your shot.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I caught two of those German Air Force aircraft the other day at IAD in the rain. I heard German Air Force radio in and for sure thought it would be the A310. :(

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Neat catch on the Iberia A343..."Agustina de Aragon" delivered me to Madrid the day before your shot.
    The first time I flew on Iberia was with "Augustina de Aragon" as well. :)