Thread: Times Square Concorde

Times Square Concorde

Remember the huge British Concorde that used to be at Times Square? Supposedly, it was donated to the Cradle of Aviation Museum to be put on display. As far as I know, it was never put on display and I've heard nothing about it. I fear maybe it was auctioned-off to a private collector. Any information would be welcomed.

Re: Times Square Concorde

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Remember the huge British Concorde that used to be at Times Square? Supposedly, it was donated to the Cradle of Aviation Museum to be put on display. As far as I know, it was never put on display and I've heard nothing about it. I fear maybe it was auctioned-off to a private collector. Any information would be welcomed.
    The last time I saw that model was in the hanger at the Cradle of Aviation. It was being repainted. This was going back a few years now. At the time it was not in good condition. I read somewhere that they wanted to display outside of the museum entrance. I believe it is still there somewhere.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Last I saw of it was a few years ago rampside behind the British Airways cargo facility at JFK. Was in a number of sections out in the elements. Hope it found a home. Heard they tookdown the Concorde replica on the Heathrow entrance recently.

You are correct. The British Concorde model was removed from the entrance at Heathrow. I read that BA would no longer pay the advertising fee. The spot now has become home, I believe,to an Emirates aircraft instead.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

An Emirates A380 should be next up at that traffic circle.

The LHR Concrde was already removed? Any ideas on its location?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

there used to be a TWA L 1649 Starliner (ultimate connie),model in the same place,NYC,back in the day.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47
    there used to be a TWA L 1649 Starliner (ultimate connie),model in the same place,NYC,back in the day.
    Wow, really? I loved seeing Concorde up in Times Square but that sounds cool too! WOnder if there are photos of that lying around.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

found it in some old black and white family photos, that was one beautiful piston liner !
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!