Thread: Nikon D80 over Nikon D200? What to buy???

Nikon D80 over Nikon D200? What to buy???

Well I'm quite new at aviation photography even though i love the hobby. My question to you guys/gals is what should i get as my new camera.
    Nikon D40 is the camera i own now, and shooting with 55-200mm VR lens the quality i'd say is pretty good, but i think of upgrading it.
    So for all you professionals out there who have worked with Nikon D80 and D200, i have few questions for you....

A) Should i buy a Nikon D80 or D200 to begin with? I mean is the image quality going to be a lot better than Nikon D40 (shooting with 55-200mm VR lens) that i own right now.

B) If it does worth upgrading to D80 or D200 over my Nikon D40, then maybe you can answer the same question of what to get out of those two???
    Do i really need Nikon D200 with all its features and will the image quality be a lot better (well at least to justify the extra $) than the image quality of D80???

C) Do i stick with my Nikon D40 and instead invest heavily into a new lens (300mm for example)???

What do you suggest :)
    Thank you.
    Russ.

Re: Nikon D80 over Nikon D200? What to buy???

Speaking from past experiences; I upgraded from the D50 to the D300.
    I think that if you feel like you've "mastered" the D40 and realy enjoy the hobby of photograpghy you should definatly upgrade.
    Prior to getting the D300 I was looking at the D80, but I almost felt like it was too similar to my D50.
    If I were you, I'd get the D200- it's not something you'd 'out grow'. It's a very versitle and over-all great camera.
    But go to the camera store and try them out, because regardless of which one you pick both will be financial decison that you'd have to live with.
    In terms of the lens you could always trade in your 55-200VR for the 70-300VR.
    Just my .02 cents.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

I have a D80 and it is just fine. My brother has a D200 and it's a great camera . It depends on what you are looking to do and how much you want to pay. I don't see outgrowing the D80 as long as I can change lenses. It also matters what storage card you want to use, SD or CF.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Canon!
    "lol retart"

I was using my dads D200 for a while before I got the D80 in August and I have to say I'm much happier with the D80.

I'd say D80!