Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pope's US visit

Pope's US visit

The Pope is coming to the US in 2 weeks. Does anyone know what plane will he travel on?

Re: Pope's US visit

I think he usually flies out on Alitalia, then returns on the national carrier of the country he's visiting, which I guess would mean American.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Just saw on the 10 O'Clock news a story about the unprecedented security that will be in effect for the Popes visit. It will rival that of a Presidential Visit and the UN General Assembly and it is a US Secret Service/NYPD operation. TFRs and FRozen Zones will be used whenever he is on the move. He is scheduled to visit Ground Zero, the United Nations, St. Patricks and on Sunday the 20th say mass at Yankee Stadium. FRom their he will head home. I also read that he will visit a Temple by the UN on Friday and a small German church in the East 80s. I wonder if he will fly in to Manhattan from JFK to JRB utilizing Marine 1? Actually it'll probably be Nighthawk 1 or maybe Papal 1? LOL!!
    In 2001 President Bush visited Yankee Stadium and threw out the first ball at a VERY emotional World Series game. They landed Marine 1 and other copters at an LZ near the Stadium but with all the construction going on there now that might not be possible.
    Whatever it should be a very interesting and exciting few days no matter what your religious affiliations.

will I be smited?

"lol retart"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Actually it'll probably be Nighthawk 1 or maybe Papal 1? LOL!!
    sheperd 1 is the callsign. doubt that the USMC would task an VH-3 for the pope, though i can't remember if a helo was used for John Paul II's visit.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

AZA 767,777. I spotted his bulletproof Popemobile thingy being transported on a flatbed truck from Iceland Air Cargo ramp area to another location. They had deep security around the vehicle and traveled at like 5mph. Black SUVs with guns drawn too along with PAPD.
    Senga

[

>sheperd 1 is the callsign. doubt that the USMC would task an VH-3 for the pope, though i can't remember if a helo was used for John Paul II's visit<

Is that for his helo in Italy also? I know the Vatican had a Sikorsky S-61 that they used to fly
    the Pope to the Vatican retreat in the Italian mountains.
    I guess it was Pope Pauls visit during the Clinton administration and they were in Denver andge
    they did use the VH-60s to transport him from the airport to his location. I remember watching
    this on TV. If they are using the "Presidential Security Package" I would guess the helo to Wall St.
    from JFK will be utilized.
    Also read no ENG copters will be allowed in and the press will be using a pool coverage as opposed
    to every station and paper having their own people.

>sheperd 1 is the callsign. doubt that the USMC would task an VH-3 for the pope, though i can't remember if a helo was used for John Paul II's visit<

>Is that for his helo in Italy also? I know the Vatican had a Sikorsky S-61 that they used to fly
    the Pope to the Vatican retreat in the Italian mountains.<

Castel Gandolfo is the Popes summer retreat 40 miles north of Rome. And the Italian AF provides the helo for the Vatican with a pad on the Vatican
    grounds.

A pullout in Newsday showed his schedule and FYI:
    Arrives Andrews AFB 4PM Tuesday
    Arrives JFK 9:45AM Friday
    Departs Sunday JFK 8PM
    Also: FRIDAY - UN(10:45AM) and two stops Upper East Side (starting 5PM)
    SATURDAY - St Pats (9AM) St Josephs (Yonkers 4:30PM)
    SUNDAY - Ground Zero (9;30AM), Yankee Stadium (2:30PM)

Still have to believe that HMX-1 will be invloved in flying the Pope from the airport to NYC and even up to St. Josephs in Yonkers. Hopefully
    on Sat because I have to drive into Manhattan to the west Side. :lol:

HMX-1 provides helicopter transportation for the President, the Vice President, members of the President's Cabinet, and foreign dignitaries as directed by the White House Military Office.
    So they probably will fly him.

Anyone going out on Friday to catch his arrival at JFK?
    BTW what is he doin at ground zero, saying mass at Trinity Church or just 'visiting'?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

A detailed itinerary of his visit is here:

http://www.uspapalvisit.org/itinerary_en.htm

I don't have anything on the calender, looks like I will probably make my way out Friday morning to catch him.

Anyone going out on Friday to catch his arrival at JFK?
    BTW what is he doin at ground zero, saying mass at Trinity Church or just 'visiting'?
    He will bless the spot and meet with families, survivors and first responders.

Was that a Korean Air jet I saw parked behind Shepherd 1 today at AAFB?

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Yes, the Korean President is in town, too, and flew HL7465 as KE101 to ADW.