Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday, March 30 LGA and JFK - Pics start on page 2

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Sunday, March 30 LGA and JFK - Now with Pics!

So I went out to LGA in the morning to try out my 50mm f/1.8 at Planeview Park:

Then, I went over to the Grand Central Pedestrian Bridge to try out the 300mm f/4 I rented (we need to find a spot further east...everyone was banking a little too late to get the right angle):

I got bored there after wating the fifth American MD-80, so I went over to JFK to meet up with Andy. We stayed at Cargo Plaza for about two and a half hours before we got chased:

There are a lot more, but I'm too tired to edit.

Question: Why on earth are my pictures so contrasty? I dropped the contrast way down in Camera Raw, but it didn't help...

Re: Sunday, March 30 LGA and JFK - Pics start on page 2

I love the American MD-80 shot!!! late bank but worth a shot!!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Possibly due to the very bright sunlight we had over the weekend? I noticed similar on my images from 3/29.

Adam,

Your Planeview shots look great. Please post more from JFK when you can.

Take care,

Brian

Sunday I was at HoBe from 1115 until 1215 when they changed runways to the dreaded 13/22 combo. Went to Bayswater for about an hour, but it was too quiet and the banks & RJ's made for difficult shooting. Finally went to Brookville Park (I still cannot find The Mounds) and got a bunch of Euro arrivals there. I actually got 2 chances at the KLM B744, as he did a go-around on the first approach due to FOD on 22L. Pics later tonight.

Adam your pics look awesome. I have to say I LOVE that AA MD-80 bank shot, even if it was late it's a killer picture. Even Kenny will appreciate a maddog bank LOL. I haven't even had a chance to look at what I shot (there are a TON of pictures). lijk - I know what you mean about KLM, I saw him do the go-around as I was on Sunrise Hwy and hauled a$$ over to the Laurelton station so I could shoot his second approach, which looked extremely nice. I did, however, miss two of the planes I really wanted to shoot: Air India (due to the fact that we thought we were going to get chased) and Qantas (was changing lenses and left the lens cap on! DOH!!!!!!! :evil: ) It could have been worse though - it could have been Wunala...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Yeah, there's no way I can hate that mad dog shot. Great work Adam.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Here are the pics earlier promised:
    HoBe

Bayswater

Brookville Park

Some nice shots Adam and John. Adam, were did you go to get shots from 13L since Cargo Plaza is closed off?

On a side note there are now 2 morning American 777 departures. The first goes to CDG and the second goes to NRT.

John, the Mounds took me a while to find but here are some decent directions:

When your taking Rockaway heading towards Firestone you'll come to an intersection with a light located in front of that carpet store. You'll turn left onto Brookville Blvd and take the road until you come to another intersection with a light and a store on your left, houses to your right, and a park straight ahead and turn left onto 147th Ave. Continue down 147th Ave for a short period of time until you see 230th Pl on your left and your going to turn onto that street. Follow the street to the end and you'll see a school on your right and a soccer field in front of you. Park in the lot located in front of the field and you will see elevated land to the left of the field and those are the mounds.

Since the season for mounds is coming I'm sure it'd be in your best interest to find them! :)

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    Some nice shots Adam and John. Adam, were did you go to get shots from 13L since Cargo Plaza is closed off?
    The Cargo Plaza as a whole isn't closed, only that Air India parking lot. We sat in the UPS parking lot across from the taxi driver praying area...I think the taxi drivers are the ones who called the (remarkably polite) PAPD on us.

Agreed with Adam - the PAPD who did eventually chase us was surprisingly polite and courteous. He basically said that even though he knows it's a hobby, it screams suspicious to those working on airport property and would we mind leaving.

So I did get to roughly edit my shots tonight. Some had a little blur (I think this will improve once I tweak my settings with Shutter-priority mode), but some came out awesome.

These were shot from Laurelton LIRR station, where I was waiting initially for Adam...

I was so excited when this guy did his go-around, making this shot possible on his second approach

Now I finally can prove that Finnair does indeed use two different types of CF6-80 engine exhaust cones on its MD-11's. The difference is pretty apparent in this shot.

From Cargo Plaza...

For Phil...

The plane everyone loves to hate...

Big Yellow Bus...

Love the light & setup on this shot, almost as if the bird and aircraft are flexing their wings simultaneously...

Wish this one came out sharper...

LOVE the light and angle on this one...

And the final shot of the day before being chased...which I think came out just fabulous...

I actually flew this aircraft (F-GITJ) to CDG last September on the upper deck - awesome experience!

So let me know what you think of the shots. I think that I came away with some nice ones, despite missing Air India and very foolishly missing Qantas. I'm also in love with Cargo Plaza as a spotting location, but would definitely urge caution to anyone that you will be chased at some point or another. I think Adam and I just had good luck. Can't wait to see your shots Adam!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Here are some more from Sunday.
    John i had just left HoBe minutes before you got there. next time.
    HoBe:

31 arrivals :

22 mounds :

thanks to Jakub for the heads up on the EuroAtlantic 767

Ahh! We saw that EuroAtlantic flight on FlightAware, but we had no idea who it was and we never saw it come in! Figures he went to 22L.

Good shots all...it looks like we got pretty much everything that came in over the course of the day... :)