Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MYR spotting (3/20)

MYR spotting (3/20)

I was on vacation down in/near Myrtle Beach last week, and it just so happens that there's a state park that lies pretty close to the approach path for runway 36. So once I got a day with the right wind and clear skies, I headed out for a bit with camera in tow. It's definitely not a busy airport, and there's a lot of waiting for something to happen, but I did manage to get a couple of nice catches.

I saw this guy off in the distance and started wondering "what is that?" It's a Dornier DO328.

My first ATR-72 catch.

Spirit from LGA, thankfully still in the old colors.

Around the time Spirit was talking to Approach, I starting hearing "Deuce 53" and Approach talking about him shooting the VOR-DME approach to Rwy 18, circle to land runway 36. One of those "WTF" moments as I wonder why someone wants to shoot that approach on a perfect VFR day and I just figure it's someone practicing their approaches. As he gets closer, a departure takes off and tower asks this guy to make his circle at the approach end of 36. Finally, over the treetops, I see him heading in the general direction of the airport, and I figure I missed him, so I sit back down in the car. A minute or two later, there he is, making a beautiful bank to line up with the runway.

He ended up doing a couple of touch-and-goes before heading back to Pope AFB, and I ended up with about 65 shots.

Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Re: MYR spotting (3/20)

Weird, Great Plains went out of business a few years ago. I guess that explains the odd reg, probably on its way overseas.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Great stuff Phil. It's been a dog's age since I've been to Myrtle Beach. The last time I was there, I was too young for a decent camera.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Great Plains....WTF? They became the new Ozark and then went bust....I wonder who the new owner who was to lazy to repaint her is? BTW I just got sick looking at that ATR...worst dam planes to fly on. They vibrate the hell out of you.. Don't fly one on a full stomach like I did...oh man...

Tommy,

I guess you haven't been on Do-328Jet. Thats the WORST plane to fly on, on windy days.
    Great stuff BTW.

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Great shots Phil!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

According to this, that Dornier now belongs to FlyMex. They have a website in Spanish, the "Who We Are" page translates into:

Flymex is a young company with proven expertise, committed to meet the air transportation needs of the current executive, complying with the highest standards of quality and service. Our pilots have international certificates and have an average of 5000 hours of flying experience, training simulators in the United States. The dispatchers and meteorologists constantly monitor air traffic and weather conditions to ensure the safety and comfort of your flight. We provide security and support of a great team of professionals in the field of Executive Aviation, crew and technical staff of highly qualified and supported directly by ...

FAA – Federal Aviation Administration
    DGAC - General Directorate of Civil Aviation
    JAA - Joint Aviation Authorities
    TCCA - Transport Canada Civil Aviation

In this way we operate at the top of national and international standards and with the most modern technology.
    In addition to the Dorniers, they have some Lears, helicopters, and such. Looks like they do charter, cargo, air taxi work, as well as maintenance and consulting work. There are a few shots on A.net of another Dornier in FlyMex colors.

Good find, Moose. Interesting that they've owned the plane over a year (reg 2/07) and haven't bothered repainting it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Wow, interesting catches...it must be fun to spot at unusual airport like that.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    According to this, that Dornier now belongs to FlyMex. They have a website in Spanish, the "Who We Are" page translates into:

Flymex is a young company with proven expertise, committed to meet the air transportation needs of the current executive, complying with the highest standards of quality and service. Our pilots have international certificates and have an average of 5000 hours of flying experience, training simulators in the United States. The dispatchers and meteorologists constantly monitor air traffic and weather conditions to ensure the safety and comfort of your flight. We provide security and support of a great team of professionals in the field of Executive Aviation, crew and technical staff of highly qualified and supported directly by ...

FAA – Federal Aviation Administration
    DGAC - General Directorate of Civil Aviation
    JAA - Joint Aviation Authorities
    TCCA - Transport Canada Civil Aviation

In this way we operate at the top of national and international standards and with the most modern technology.
    In addition to the Dorniers, they have some Lears, helicopters, and such. Looks like they do charter, cargo, air taxi work, as well as maintenance and consulting work. There are a few shots on A.net of another Dornier in FlyMex colors.

Also, you can easily note the XA-*** registration = Mexico.

- jMay
    "BANK M*THER$@*#^$, BANK!!!"

Nice shots Phil, but nothing for us US guys? Thought we where still the largest carrier their ?

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    Nice shots Phil, but nothing for us US guys? Thought we where still the largest carrier their ?
    I wasn't there long enough to catch US; I know they have a couple of flights a day out of CLT but nothing came in during the hour or so I was out. I didn't catch CO either, but I did hear them getting stuck on the ground for nearly an hour before they could head to EWR.

Phil, did not realize all that was in about an hour, you did well. After a little research looks like US's schedule is only big in the summer and NK is the largest carrier by far currently. Yesterday they operated 9 A-319's out of MYR, while US only operated 5 departures, 1-733, 1-734, 2-319, and one CR2.

Thanks for the reply,

LGA777

Wow, nice catches! I never knew that Delta operated the ATR....
    nwa FOREVER!

It's not Delta, it's Atlantic Southeast Airlines, but with Delta paint. Probably the same sort of arrangement as with Comair.