Thread: FAA orders older 737s checked for fuel leaks

FAA orders older 737s checked for fuel leaks

WASHINGTON -- Federal regulators have ordered inspections for hundreds of older model Boeing 737 jetliners after numerous reports of fuel leaks caused by a potentially faulty bolt.

In August, a fire destroyed a China Airlines 737 when a bolt from a right wing slat pierced the jetliner's fuel tank. All 165 people aboard evacuated unharmed just before the Boeing plane exploded on a tarmac in Okinawa, Japan.

More info can be found here:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 001/rss21#
    See:
    My photos at Jetphotos.net
    Joop Stroes @ Jetphotos
    My photos at Airliners.net
    Joop Stroes @ Airliners.net

Re: FAA orders older 737s checked for fuel leaks

This is a little confusing. To me older model 737's would be -200, -300. -400, and -500 models. But since the fire was on a several year old -800 and judging from the number in the article maybe this is all 737's in service ?

Cheers

LGA777

Re: FAA orders older 737s checked for fuel leaks

I was confused by that too...turns out they ordered the inspections of the later models a couple months ago as a result of the China Airlines fire, but have now expanded it to the older models due to design similarities.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9