Thread: "Airport" The Movie (1970)

"Airport" The Movie (1970)

Just watched this movie last night and was really impressed! The movie was way ahead of its time in covering a bunch of different aspects of aviation (maintenance, airport ops, air traffic control, etc). I can't wait for the sequels to come up on cable so I can watch those as well. Anyone else seen these movies? What are your impressions?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: "Airport" The Movie (1970)

I purchased the Box set DVD! :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

The original is a classic. The sequels are classics of cheesy, B-list celebrity, '70s disaster movies.

Not to sound really old but I actually saw Airport in the Theater (I was 10) and this was before the advent of the Multiplex which ment old school downtown Theater with a nice BIG screen and as an excited youngster in love with aviation, airlines and airports it was the best movie I had ever seen, and it was a pretty big hit with normal people to. I have seen it many times sense including twice in the last year and still think it's GREAT ! For those who are fans of the 707 lots of great sound effects especially when Joe Patroni was trying to coxe her out of the snow.

Airport 75 was ok, some good avaition cimotragaphy but the last two I really was not that into.

Regards

LGA777

Hey Ron - maybe you can answer this for me, where the sound effects of the 707 in the movie the real sounds coming from the JT3D's? I thought it might be, but wasn't sure since a lot of times the sounds in modern movies don't mimic what the engines actually sound like...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Pretty sure the sound effects where live, lets put it this way, that's exactly what the mighty 707 sounds like !

LGA777

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I purchased the Box set DVD! :borat:
    same here. the first two are pretty good, the concorde and 747 are a bit cheesy but nonetheless entertaining...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

It's a great flick for the pre-detector days. Let's see if I remember correctly Dean Martin pressures the other captain to ignore the difference in passenger count and take off to save fuel. Helen Hayes manages to stowaway a whole bunch of times, Van Heflin gets a crude bomb on board, the Customs Officer notices Van Heflin acting strangely but says "F It!" . Kinda like watching Cannonball Run where Sammy & Dino leave the starting gate drunk and everyone has a good laugh. Personally, I love the different split screens in Airport as well as seeing live 707's and the 1:100 TWA Double Globe Concorde in Burt Lancaster's office.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

"Airport" 1970 and Airport 75 are my all time favorate movies!! and yes I also have the for disk DVD set as well.. I was interested what happened as Trans Global Boeing 707 got stuck off runway 29 after arriving and of course it was remove by Patroni(George Kennedy).

and in Airport 75, I really injoyed how the situation was done on Columbia FLT 409 an (ex American Airlines) after being hit by a Baron..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

It was a classic ! As a former 727 crew dog i love the NW 727 spewing black smoke taking off at the end,and the 3 man crew dynamics are right on ! Patroni rocks ! I miss the scream of the JT3s ! JFK,and the Canarsie approach in the 60's and 70's was a welter of the thunder and black smoke , I cherish the memory of all those blue ball,starstream, astrojet,braniff rainbow,and eastern hockeystick,707s,727s,DC-8s,9's, Cv880 and 990s!!!!! screaming over the conduit,13L bound.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15XlSbGzGTk[/youtube

oh wow Trans American FLT 209 to Chicago on a 707 which had fish that was poison and Ted Striker lands the plane... AIRPLANE! lol

Sergio Cardona

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47
    It was a classic ! As a former 727 crew dog i love the NW 727 spewing black smoke taking off at the end,and the 3 man crew dynamics are right on ! Patroni rocks ! I miss the scream of the JT3s ! JFK,and the Canarsie approach in the 60's and 70's was a welter of the thunder and black smoke , I cherish the memory of all those blue ball,starstream, astrojet,braniff rainbow,and eastern hockeystick,707s,727s,DC-8s,9's, Cv880 and 990s!!!!! screaming over the conduit,13L bound.
    In fact that NW 727 take off was shown in the begining of the movie... What you saw take off at the end was a Boeing 707, and a Braniff BAC-111 was seen in the background taxing as the movie ended..

Sergio Cardona

my bad,i just remember the 3 holer
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

This is definitely my favorite aviation movie of all time. The movie was realistic and factually correct for people like us. I just hate it whenever they show a movie and on the outside it is a 737 and then the inside shot is that of a 747... with a lounge... on a short-haul domestic hop! I didn't care for seeing everyone's life story during Airport 77 when they were waiting for the plane to be raised.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!