Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunsets!

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Sunsets!

Now that it's daylight savings time, the sun goes down late enough that I can actually photograph it. And I'm trying to get it right, now that I have a tripod I'm happy with. Here are my first few attempts, taken from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade:

The Empire State Building

I wanted to get the sun inside the cloud but I was too late :(

Neat light...I actually lost my best shots in this series because of a big lens flare

Last light - this required almost no color correction

Anyone got tips on how to do these better? I had a hard time getting the exposure right...on a lot of my shots, I pointed away from the sun, cropped, and adjusted in Photoshop. I'm also not terribly sure about my composition.

Re: Sunsets!

Another question: If somebody's eyes can get damaged from looking into a camera pointed at the sun, I would assume that the digital sensor could get damaged from long-exposure shots aimed at the sun as well. How long could one safely leave a shutter open for?
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Usually when pointing the camera directly into the sun, you are going to be around max performace of the camera... In my case it was like 1/4000
    sec.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Anyone got tips on how to do these better?
    I think you did well.

Knowing what you are looking at.....and playing the way you are right now
    with composition and exposure will Teach you what you need... When
    you are not sure and HAVE to get the shot, turn on exposure bracketing...
    (if you do not know what it is...ask and learn it fast...IT WILL SAVE YOU!)
    If you are not sure about the picture Exposure Bracket the shot!

I also now do HDR's of almost all of my night photography, After the sun
    goes down, every shot would be bracketed. Look at the very last shot
    to see what an HDR sunset looks like.

Here are a few of mine...

Here is a 3 shot hand held HDR with the camera in High speed mode... the shot were put together with a program called photomatix.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Yeah, I've been messing around with HDR at night quite a bit...I need to figure out custom white balance on my camera though...I took a series at the Promenade on Monday night and the white balance was way off..I got it right on the +1EV shot, and then copied the setting to the rest of the set (yay Bridge!), but the +1EV shot still came out better.

I should try some sunset HDR shots...I thought about that, but figured I should get my composition right first.

I also need to wait until later in the year...at this time of year, the sun is way south of the skyline. Or I need to find a better location. :)

Thanks for the advice...

I did an evening of sunset shots over the winter, and I meant to get out and do it again (with +/- 2 stop bracketing instead of +/- 1) but never did. Here are a couple of the shots:

Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Phil, that looks like an awesome spot...where was it? Jersey City?

It's from Hoboken, at the train station, down near the light rail station. I think that technically, that part of it might be part of Jersey City, but that's just splitting hairs.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

those are great, i love how still the water is around the pylons. i've tried and failed to get good sunsets on my own, i usually just don't have my camera with me when i can get a good shot. this is one is my favorite though have it framed and hanging in the hallway at home:

i'm taking my camera with me to cali on wednesday. i know a day trp sounds crazy but that's all i have time for. we'll see what comes out of it...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.

HOLY CRAP PHIL, that shot is awesome!!! I love how you see the LGA tower. Soon that skyline will change forever....... :borat:

The skyline of Cincinnati @ sunset...as seen from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River.

They are great :)

Here is one of mine

http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/Wheel-sunset-1-w.jpg

That's great, Jetinder. Which bridge did you shoot that from?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9