Thread: Vaughn College Visit: Trip Report Thread

Vaughn College Visit: Trip Report Thread

Since I won't have internet while I am up in NY, I will open up a thread for my trip report now. Here is my info:

3/13/2008
    AirTran 477
    LV: Daytona Beach 1255
    AR: New York-LGA 1530

3/15/2008
    AirTran 488
    LV: New York-LGA 1605
    AR: Daytona Beach 1848

Tour is on Friday, 3/14/2008.

Trip report and College Feedback to Follow.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: Vaughn College Visit: Trip Report Thread

....Why not just post the thread when you have prepared a trip report???
    nwa FOREVER!

Well, it's a little before 8 AM on Thursday March 13, 2008. Since the airport is so close, I have time to write before I leave.

According to flight schedules between AirTran Airways, Delta Airlines, and US Airways, there will be four aircraft parked at a gate simultaneously:

US 3116 Departs for Charlotte at 12:30 PM (Gate 5)
    DL 676 Departs for Atlanta at 12:38 PM (Gate 4)
    DL 5360 Departs for New York-LaGuardia at 12:43 PM (Gate 2)
    FL 477 Departs for New York-LaGuardia at 12:55 PM (Gate 6)*

*Denotes my flight

What this means: Increased amount of travelers in the terminal at once. Two of these flights (DL 676 and FL 477) are on Full sized jets. It is possible to have close to 200 people for those flights alone, plus another 110 or so for the two flights on the smaller E175 and CR7 (US 3116 and DL 5360).

Will write more when I get back to Florida.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

...What is the point of this thread?
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    ...What is the point of this thread?
    * * (points out open air where point should be.)
    "lol retart"

Trip Report

March 13, 2008

AirTran 477
    Departed: Daytona Beach 1:15 PM (Scheduled: 12:55 PM) Gate 6
    Arrived: New York-LaGuardia 3:30 PM (Scheduled: 3:30 PM) Gate B8
    Seat 12A

After a few errands, my father and I arrive at Daytona Beach International Airport. We were already checked in, but I checked a bag, so we had to go to the counter. We went to the Subway on the top floor to get lunch for the plane and headed through security. For Daytona Beach, the security line was long. It was understandable because there were four departing flights all within a half hour of each other. After the security checkpoint, my father and I walked to the end of the councourse where our gate, gate number six was.

Across the hall was a US Airways' 12:30 PM daily flight to Charlotte. It was sitting at the jetway, but departed on time. Also at the terminal was two DL flights, one to LGA, the other to ATL.
    Our flight arrived from ATL behind schedule around 12:40 PM. The DAB crew did a quick service and then began boarding. I took my seat in row 12 by the window. I will say that FL does not have much cushion in their Coach Seats. We had a slight delay due to a faulty ground starter and then we departed by 1:15 off runway 7L.
    Beverage service was fine, the F/A's were courteous enough to give seconds, although my dad heard one call a passenger a stupid son of a b*tch (not to his/her face), but that is beside the point. A nice view of New Jersey as we flew up the Hudson and landed on runway 22 at LaGuardia. A quick taxi to Gate B8 had us deplaning by 3:30, despite the delay. The CTB concourse B could use some work. It is very old. Baggage claim was uneventful and we took the shuttle to our rental car.

Since Vaughn was right there, we took a sneak preview before our tour the next day. Nice school.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Trip Report, Cont'd

March 15, 2008

AirTran 488
    Departed: New York-LaGuardia 4:05 PM (Sched: 4:05 PM) Gate B8
    Arrived: Daytona Beach 6:30 PM (Sched: 6:48 PM) Gate 6
    Seat: 1A

My dad and I got to the airport with two hours to spare. We both went to the counter to check our bags. While we were there, my dad paid the extra money to upgrade us to Business Class for our flight home. Big treat for me, since I am always a coach traveler.
    We got some lunch at the food court and then went through security. The line wasn't bad. Our gate was B8 so we found a place to sit and I walked to the end of the concourse. I took a look at the jetway for gate B7, which is an AirTran gate. It was really rusty, but I also saw a faded TWA sign on it. I thought that was pretty cool since LGA doesn't have any indication of TWA's presence besides their old planes repainted to different airlines now.
    Our plane made it to LGA on time from Daytona Beach, despite the expected delay. After the preboarding, my dad and I boarded with zone one. I took a seat in 1A with my dad next to me. We pushed back on time and since there was minimal traffic at LGA today, we taxied to Runway 4 in "record" time and took off over the Bronx. We got a nice view of Yankee Stadium(s) and Columbia University.
    The beverage service was nice, I got a whole can of Diet Coke to myself and some snack mix. They kept offering me more stuff throughout the flight. All I took extra was some cookies (gave to father) and a can of Seltzer. We hit a lot of rough patches in the air so the captain kept adjusting his altitude.
    We flew out over the ocean and headed straight in for runway 25R at DAB. Very hard landing with one noticable bounce. We taxied to gate 6 and deplaned around 6:30 PM, 18 minutes early.
    Baggage claim took a while to get going, but my bag was THE first one to come through.

Great trip.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

JetBlueAirwaysFan, glad you had a good trip, I am probably not the only one who is curious how the Vaughn College tour went? How did you like their Tower, do you think you will be attending in the fall, etc?

LGA777

Nice report.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The visit to Vaughn went extremely well. I was offered an academic scholarship and a Residential Leadership Scholarship. They are both annual scholarships. I fell in love with their tower. Amazing view of LGA's Runway 4. I already have a tuition deposit down for the fall 2008 semester. I will be there.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

They have dorms?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Gotham, they don't just have dorms, they have dorms that some of which overlook the threshold of Runway 4.

JetBlue, congrats, I can telll your very excited.

LGA777

Thank you.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012