Thread: Lay over at Laguardia

Lay over at Laguardia

Hey guys,

On the 20th of March,
    I'm traveling to Albany and I have a 3hour layover in LGA. I was wondering if anybody knew of any places that I can see activity from the Usairways terminal, or main.

Thanks,
    Luke

Re: Lay over at Laguardia

First of all welcome to the site Luke. From the US Terminal the Express gates around gates 5-6-7 are very close to active and busy taxiways and Runway 13-31. Depending on which runways are in use you may get good takeoff (Rwy 13 or 31) or landing (Rwy 31) views. There are also good ramp views from the Main or Central Terminal as it is known from outside security. Are you flying US both in and out or another carrier inbound?

Regards

LGA777

Thanks,
    I'm going to have a 70-300mmVR lens and yes, I'm taking USairways in and out of LGA.

Though, I take it there are no formal observation areas/decks or anything?

Thanks,
    Luke

There was once a great deck at LGA but that closed in the early 80's and if you want ramp type shots some ok view from the Central Terminal, here are a few samples

http://www.airliners.net/photo/CanJet-A ... 0987220/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Spirit-A ... 1334632/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Continen ... 0301097/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/AirTran/ ... 1239304/L/

You would have more than enough time to leave USAirways and walk or bus down their.
    The best spots are off airport if you had a little more time.

Regards

LGA777

Thanks,

I'll defiantly look into that.

Now, would I have to go through secruity again to go to the main terminal from the Usairways one? Because I was looking at a map, and it made the two look NON-adjacent.
    Or, is there a bus that connects the two?

Thanks,
    Luke

You will need to leave the secure area at US and once outside about a 2 block walk (sidewalk outdoors) or a free Shuttle bus. Once back at US you then pass thru security so total of 1 screening for your visit.

LGA777

Alright,
    Thanks.

I'll look into that.

Where exactly in the main terminal are these spots? Do I have to go up any escalators or anything, or are they right in the main atrium?

Thanks,
    Luke

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i'm guessing here, but are you flight crew? if so, the US checkpoints have separate lines for crews, just need to show an ID that says you are.

if you are, what type? bell 222 left seater here!! :borat:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Cancidas,

I only wish that I was on the flight crew.

No. I'm 14 years old and traveling alone(not a big deal) to Albany. My dream is to be in the left seat, but that is a LONG way off. Anyway, if you have any other spots that I, a young civilian can go to, I'll go there and take some pictures.

Thanks,
    Luke Rafferty

Quote Originally Posted by 744flyer
    Alright,

Where exactly in the main terminal are these spots? Do I have to go up any escalators or anything, or are they right in the main atrium?
    If you follow signs for the parking garage in the main terminal, there are rocking chairs at the bottom of the escalators that lead to the parking garage. Alternatively you could go sit in the food court but you won't get good shots from here.

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    Quote Originally Posted by 744flyer
    Alright,

If you follow signs for the parking garage in the main terminal, there are rocking chairs at the bottom of the escalators that lead to the parking garage. .
    When you see the rocking chairs then follow the escalator one floor up, that's where the better views are.

LGA777