Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Jones Beach Airshow

2008 Jones Beach Airshow

Memorial Day Weekend
    Saturday, May 24th and Sunday, May 25th
    Wantagh, NY

WILL INCLUDE THE BLUE ANGELS AND F-22 DEMO TEAM , SEE YOU THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Re: 2008 JONES BEACH AIR SHOW -- THIS MONTH MARCH

PRAYING the F-22 stays in FRG. :!: :!: :!:

Re: 2008 Jones Beach Airshow

F-22 demo! Sweet! I was hoping we'd get that last year, but alas, only as a static display at the McGuire show (which, for anyone who doesn't already know, is the weekend after the Jones Beach show this year). It's one of my favorite shots, but I wanna see it flying!
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Current lineup:

Announcer: Rob Reider

Military Participants

US Navy Blue Angels
    US Army Golden Knights
    F-22A Raptor Demonstration

Civillian Participants

Sean D. Tucker
    Ed Hamill
    John Klatt
    Geico Skytypers
    American Airpower Museum
    Warbirds Over Long Island
    Yankee Air Museum B-17
    Commemorative Air Force B-24

As usual, I'll be keeping my blog-style website on the show up-to-date with the latest info. Link is in my signature.

Another visitor to keep an eye on: The V-22 Osprey will be in the area to do flybys at Fleetweek. Hopefully, someone can coax them over to this side of the East River for a little bit.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    Commemorative Air Force B-29
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Is she flying again?

Can't wait, I'm graduating on the 23rd and driving home just in time! I'm just bummed I won't be around for the arrivals.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i'll be there, but probably hanging out in the Team Oracle pit. would love to see a B-29 flying!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'll be there finally! Hope to meet up with many of you!
    "lol retart"

From their website http://www.cafb29b24.org/index.html
    Great News!
    For Immediate Release

The Cavanaugh Flight Museum (“CFM”) and the Commemorative Air Force (“CAF”) announced today a Cooperative Agreement that will put the world’s only airworthy B-29 back in the air. Jim Cavanaugh has pledged $1.2 million sponsorship for the re-engine project of FIFI, the CAF’s world famous B-29. “This sponsorship, together with additional donations from CAF members, should go a long way towards completing the project of putting FIFI back in the air again,” said Stephan Brown, President / CEO of the CAF. “Fundraising for FIFI by the CAF will continue, as we still have other restoration maintenance to perform, but Jim Cavanaugh’s generosity will get us a long way down that track,” Brown continued. Cavanaugh is the main financial support for the CFM and has been a long time benefactor of warbird projects and the CAF. “The B-29 played such a significant role in history that it is important that this airplane be preserved. Because of my close relationship with the CAF, I felt the need to get FIFI flying again,” said Cavanaugh.
    It doesn't say specifically when she will be back in the air, but it definitely looks like it will happen. Will it be in time for the air show? For some reason, I feel like it won't be, so I should probably change that until I get confirmation.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Awesome. In years past, has this even been good for photos, lighting-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    Awesome. In years past, has this even been good for photos, lighting-wise?
    At the beach is kinda meh, in my opinion. You can end up with a lot of haze, and since you're mostly facing south, the planes are basically backlit all day (definitely head-on and to one side, varying with the sun). Not to say that you can't get some good shots, but it's better to go to the beach to watch the show than to photograph it.

IMO, Republic Airport (FRG) is the place to be. All day people are parked along the fences and you can get some really nice light with close access. You don't really get the routines, but the T-birds did a little show at the airport last year and I think the Blue Angels did something similar the year before. The downside is that you don't necessarily get everything, as the bigger stuff doesn't base at FRG; last year the B-1 only did the beach, and I think the F-15 demo was out of Southampton (at least two years ago). Fat Albert does FRG though.

I'd love it if the F-22 stayed over at FRG!

Edited to add:

Here are my photos from last year to compare:
    * Sat, May 26, at Jones Beach
    * Sun, May 27, at Republic
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

[quote="pgengler last year the B-1 only did the beach,

I'd love it if the F-22 stayed over at FRG!

[/quote]
    Au contraire, a pair of B-1's did a couple of low fly-by's at FRG the day before the first show, and my camera was at Nikon for a cleaning :twisted: . If the F-22's stayed at FRG, well...you know, I'd be moist. lol
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I am VERY fired up for the show this year, I might have a little contribution to it as well. Time will tell. 8)
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The light sucks....its that simple. The light is a$$ on in the morning and then nose on in the afternoon. Plus the crowds blow to...if you want to see the best part of the show go to the practice session on Thursday and Friday. The beach is empty and the practice session is generally longer then what you see on the weekend. I think hanging out on New Highway at FRG is far more enjoyable then the show itself. Bring a cooler a chair and a ladder and your all set. However for pictures if they don't go off early enough its backlit city but again IMO its more enjoyable then going to the beach. I enjoy the Labor Day weekend show better at FRG. This past Labor Day Moose and I sat in the parking lot at Airport Plaza and got some fantastic evening shots of the warbirds going in and out, plus some biz traffic, light was spot on to.

Sweet a B-29 and an F-22!
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY