Thread: Tanker Explodes on Van Wyck

Tanker Explodes on Van Wyck

Big fire at JFK's Doubletree hotel. It seems to be out now, but there was a LOT of smoke.

I'll post some cell phone pics soon.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: JFK Doubletree Up In Flames

I* saw that coming into LGA a little while ago. BIG BIG plume of smoke.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

News was actually saying this was an oveturned tractor trailer on the Van Wyck. I'm still waiting to hear more.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Unless it was chock fill of heating oil I cannot imagine how one truck even if it was like a 12k truck could put that kind of smoke out. It was clear as a bell from LaGuardia at like quarter to one.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Actually I got a news alert that a gas tanker flipped over and exploded on the Van Wyck, that's probably what it was.

[Edit: oh, Phil already said that]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Tanker Explodes on Van Wyck

The truck crashed at the Van Wyck and North Conduit with 9,000 gallons of gasoline on board. Unfortunately the driver was unable to escape and died. :(
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

R.I.P. to the driver.

http://www.wnbc.com/slideshow/news/15474895/detail.html

Guess FDNY couldn't foam it fast enough!
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

One DOA (Truck Driver) and two stable injuries (Firefighters). Overturn was on North bound ramp from conduit to Van Wyck.

PAPD sent crash truck and since it is ready to shoot foam they used around 600 gallons. FDNY Foam trucks need to be set up, it doesn't have the system ready to go as does the crash truck.

Gas had been found is storm drains and leads to Jamaica bay. USCG to handle that spill.

About a 100 windows at the hotel have some sort of damage from the heat.

No identification yet on the truck or driver due to the damage. NYPD awaiting the unloading of about 3000 gallons of fuels before attempting an identification.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I read a report that the foam actually began burning at one point. Could be because PA foam is formulated for jet fuel, not gasoline?

So thats why there was so much traffic on the van wyck yesterday! There was more traffic than I have ever seen, the whole thing was backed up for about a mile. There was also loads of sand on the road this morning.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I read a report that the foam actually began burning at one point. Could be because PA foam is formulated for jet fuel, not gasoline?
    The foam is used to smother the fire by removing any oxygen that mixes with the fuel vapors. Maybe the volume of gasoline vapors in that area was overpowering the foam?
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man