Thread: United Kiosk Software Fails on Leap Day, Delays Check-ins

United Kiosk Software Fails on Leap Day, Delays Check-ins

Software snafu delays United Airlines' check-ins on Leap Day

Associated Press
    1:35 PM CST, February 29, 2008

CHICAGO - Passengers using United Airlines' "Easy Check-In" found it anything but that on Leap Day when the automated system failed, resulting in longer lines at its U.S. airport counters.

The Chicago-based carrier blamed the service interruption on software issues related to the leap year.

Spokeswoman Megan McCarthy says customers couldn't get Easy Check-In kiosks to confirm they had been checked in or print out their boarding passes for several hours. [Read more]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: United Kiosk Software Fails on Leap Day, Delays Check-ins

Anyone know if this was software developed in house? Seems odd it didn't affect anyone else.

Y2K all over again!

Sounds like a typical day at UA to me.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The Chicago-based carrier blamed the service interruption on software issues related to the leap year.
    Yeah, because it's not like they couldn't see that coming for like the last four years :shock:

I find it amusing because before Y2K, I was working at a small business that got a form letter from some faceless lawyers or IT managers at its large corporate client requiring us to 'certify' that our systems were Y2K compliant. They didn't quite understand my response that as a small business, we ran a few PCs and had no network, and were actually not the vendor they should be worried about, they thought because we were small our PCs might spontaneously combust at midnight or turn into Transformers or espresso machines or something. Of course, absolutely nothing happened with us, but the Dilbert-esq big company shakedown was more than a bit irritating around the '99 holidays, so I'm always amused when a big company has a meltdown over something as basic and predictable as this. I've got a suggestion for a check-in system that doesn't fail because of what day it is. It's called people behind a desk!